Thread: how to enable windows update after upgrading to windows 8 consumer preview?

how to enable windows update after upgrading to windows 8 consumer preview?

Hi friends, may I know how exactly I can enable windows update into my new upgraded windows system. I have recently upgrading my system to windows 8 consumer preview which is very much new to me. This is why the reason I am asking you for such a simple question. I actually wanted to update all windows official software like MS office then I also wanted to update the patches for windows. Can someone tell how can I do it. I updated my system to windows 8 consumer preview from windows 7.

Re: how to enable windows update after upgrading to windows 8 consumer preview?

Hey I have managed to update my windows 8 consumer preview without any problem by simply following below steps:
    • First I went to windows update settings from control panel
    • Select the option called as Install Updates automatically (recommended)
    • Most importantly you need to tick or check the option which says “Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new option Microsoft software when I update windows”
    • After you check the option restart your computer and let the system start automatically. Just following the instructions if provided.

What could be the reason for me not getting the updates for windows office? From the time I have updated my windows 7 to windows 8 Consumer Preview I am not getting updates at all. Even I have tried the above suggestion just after I updated to windows 8 CP but even this trick didn’t work for me. I thought there must be some problem with the Office so I simply thought to uninstall and then reinstall Office but no difference. Guess what? Just for R&D purpose I simply reinstalled windows 8 Consumer preview which solved few of the problems. I mean most of the updates were getting updated automatically and also few of the Microsoft apps were getting the updates.

Yeah, you are right, by doing the fresh installation of the windows 8 Consumer preview you might get out of the mess. Actually the problem is that whenever we upgrade the OS (especially in case of windows 7 to windows 8 CP) many of the operations are hooked up with some problem and windows update is the first thing that is hampered. Instead of doing an upgrade always prefer to do a fresh installation of the OS. Windows OS are always recommended to be fresh installed and not upgraded. The recommendation is not being suggested by me or any other usual person instead the official people are Microsoft is suggesting it.

I am not sure who exactly is suggesting to do the fresh installation of windows 8 consumer preview but yes, doing a fresh install does helps us a lot.

Once you are done with the upgrade process to windows 8 CP then make sure that you do a refresh and then what you will notice is all your previous apps and programs are deleted and removed. From now onwards you can easily and smoothly reconfigure all the necessary software and devices as according to your requirement. There are lot of work to be done with a fresh install but I personally feel that it is much more better than doing an upgrade which messes up with the system.