Thread: Port Forwarding not working in Windows Vista

Port Forwarding not working in Windows Vista

Want help to forward a port for lan gaming. My all friends can play except me. I have a vista laptop. I have a small lan setup at home. I have number of games like Dota, Wow, CS, etc. He also added new games like Battlefield, Black-Ops, etc. But when I try to connect I am not able find any server listed. I tried a number of things. I want my friends to connect to the desktop pc which has the game server. The desktop is protected with a firewall. Also there is a wifi network in composite to the lan connectors. The laptop that I have is not ready to connect to that desktop pc. I am not sure why. I made all the settings and changes. I got a tutorial on web which says to firmware a port and then try to connect. Where should I do that. On my vista laptop or on the desktop pc. Actually both have Windows Vista. So I will need common settings for both.

Re: Port Forwarding not working in Windows Vista

You have to do that on the desktop pc where the game server is. Because I think the security application in your system is not allowing you to get connected to the server. You have to forward a dedicated port by which a traffic can enter your system and you can enjoy lan games. There are different methods of port forwarding for different routers. I can give you a standard option that you can try on your system. For that type cmd in the run box and hit enter. Then type ipconfig /all and hit enter. From here you will need to note down your local IP address. Once you found that the exact IP address that the system has exist cmd and launch your web browser. In that type 192.168.1.1 and hit enter. This is your router address. Enter the user name and password in that. By default it is admin/admin. Now in that you will need to search for port forwarding or any tab that says application or gaming. Click on that. Below you can see some port forwarding boxes. Enter the name of game that you are going to play and add the port number which you want to keep open. You can add the same under firewall except list also.

I had made this changes on a Linksys router. There is a tab in that called as Application and Gaming. You just need to click on that. Type the name of application and port number. Also you can try to disable your firewall for sometime till you guys are playing game. After that turn them back on.

I will not advice you to turn off your firewall as that can create security issues. If some of the laptops that will connect to your system has virus then the same will enter in your system also. This can generate more issues in coming time. I will advice you to go with the port forwarding method. First mention your router model here. Second you can find a manual of that router easily on web. The manual contains appropriate settings for port forwarding and it is quiet easier to configure also. It is not a complicated job. You are not able to access the game server because you are not on the common work group. You can also do one thing. You can create a common work group and one by one add all the systems on it. Once the system are authenticated they will easily find the game server. I normally use hamachi. It is much easier to configure and does not involve to change settings in router.

There is a simple tool called as Simple Port Forwarding. This tool helps to open a port for gaming and applications. The issue with this tool is that if you run this your antivirus will give you virus warning. The tool does not has virus, but may it is not being properly identified.

To forward a port before you need to check which port is open. If there is any port open you can use that for gaming purpose. You will just require to insert the servers ip address on the same. By default port 80 remains open for such stuff. You can add up this port in the router and check that it works fine or not. Port Forwarding Wizard 4.7 is another reliable tool for this purpose. Unfortunately this is not free. You will need to buy it. The tool offers you option for simple port forwarding to advance. And if you are not interested to go for any purchase then manual method is the only option that remains. Usually routers comes with inbuilt options to forward number of ports on your choice. You can assign a set of applications on different ports.

It is important that for port forwarding you will need a static ip for your pc. This static ip helps other computer to connect to your network. If the game server is set on automatic settings then this becomes a complicated. I had seen that on a local network it is quiet easier to play CS. There is no need to go for port forwarding stuff. But I am doubtful that CS will work on Vista.

There are very less applications on web that can help you to create a game server without doing those changes. Mostly many of you are not recommended to touch the router settings as it can hamper your network security. I had configured a wifi network on my home. The pc which were connected to it was Vista and Windows 7. I had tried to setup a wifi network for playing games, but there were many issues. I cannot leave the wifi connection as open as it can cause issue. If I go for lan setup then I will need to reconfigure all things back again.

So this easy installation would have proved helpful for my system but the problem then became I have several hosts that I want entry to along with my pc. Now I could just distant to my pc and then distant to the other devices from there since they are all on the regional system.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonmilsont View Post
    So this easy installation would have proved helpful for my system but the problem then became I have several hosts that I want entry to along with my pc. Now I could just distant to my pc and then distant to the other devices from there since they are all on the regional system.
    Well, I dont understand what are you trying to ask, therefore, could you please explain in simple english, what issue you are facing? Are you using any kind of router to access pc? Is there any kind of permission issue that you are getting? If you are getting any error message, then post it here, so that we can find solution for same.