Thread: How to empty trash in Suse 12.1

How to empty trash in Suse 12.1

Trashing seems to be quite difficult task in Suse Linux 12.1. I have recently installed Suse Linux 12.1 into my machine and trust me I m really enjoying it at the at most level. Until now I haven’t faced any problem yet while accessing it except for the trash function. There is nothing wrong with trash but the only thing is that I wanted to clear my trash box completely. Always whenever I want to get rid of any file or folder I simply throw them into the trash box. I never found it difficult to find the trash option as I can easily find the icon for it. I have no other option in my mind for dealing with waste and unwanted files but just to send them to the trash. But now I have found that all those thrown file have got collected in the trash which I do not like in any way.

Obviously to clear the trash I will have to empty it but that’s what I don’t know how to do. Just let me know how exactly I can remove the files and clear everything from trash, I want to empty it completely. Whenever I delete a file that means I wanted to completely remove it from the system and not to save it into trash or something. Is there no option in which I can directly remove the file from the system without letting it go into the trash? Please help me out and suggest me something. I am not sure about others but for me deleting a file means to completely remove it from the system and not to transfer it somewhere else.

Re: How to empty trash in Suse 12.1

Yeah I can understand your need thoroughly but let me tell you that such features are not a drawback or something that shouldn’t be liked. They are available for the users benefit. Suppose in your case you are trying to delete some useless files and unfortunately without knowing you deleted those files including some of the very important files which were very much necessary for you. In such cases at least you have a option of getting the files back to your computer at the same location. And let me tell you that this is not something that doesn’t happens with anyone, in fact if you are a regular user then definitely it would have happened with you at least once in a while during the time of deleting waste files. And why to worry if you need to clear your trash you can do it easily without putting up much affords (you can do it once in a day or a week, depending upon your wish). If the trash is filled up with loads of unwanted waste files then you can delete them complete from your system.

Anyways for emptying the trash what you need to do is simply right click on the trash icon which you already said is visible to you. That’s it, after right clicking you will definitely find an option of Delete Trash, click on it. Everything will be removed from your system that you already eliminated and gathered into trash.

Hey I am well aware of the right click option but unfortunately it does not work in my Suse 12.1. From the time I installed suse 12.1 I am noticing that the Empty Trash option is nowhere available in the right click properties. I kept on doing it million of time but yet I didn’t get the option anywhere.

I somehow wanted to empty my trash, it completely filled with dozens of unwanted files (haven’t deleted it from the time I installed suse 12.1) and I am sure that they are not going to come in any of my use so it’s better I remove them as soon as possible. Whenever I right click on the icon I find only three options they are Icon setting, desktop option and remove this icon. Now as far as I know none of these options indicates anything about clearing or emptying the trash. I think there is nothing left from my side to try that’s the reason I came over here to get some appropriate solution. Just let me know what exactly could be wrong in my case, why I am not able to see the option for emptying the trash. Let me tell you that I already tried another option i.e. double clicking on the icon, opening it and clicking on the Empty trash option but you know, the option is not even available there. Please suggest me with an appropriate suggest and help me out.

I guess there could be some sort of permission error. I am not sure but I think you are actually not being allowed for clearing your own trash. Might be you are restricted by the admin. If you yourself is the admin then try to get the permission back. Another thing I suspect is the installation error. There could be also chances that you didn’t do the installation of your Suse 12.1 proper. If you want give it a try, you can try reinstalling the OS again. I know my suggestion bit doubtful and quite risk but anyways I tried my best to let you know the possibility.

Before you try out anything weird please do what I suggest. Just open the terminal your system and type the following command:
    cd ~/.local/share/
    rm -rf Trash

After typing the command, your trash will automatically be cleared and everything will be deleted from the system. I am sure this trick will definitely work for you. In my opinion this is the first think you should try and later on go for other suggestions. Anyways reinstalling Suse 12.1 is not a correct suggestion at all instead you can go for a system restore option. Anyways try out my suggestions and let me know the results.