Thread: Optical photoconductor needs to be replaced error in Mac OS X Lion

Optical photoconductor needs to be replaced error in Mac OS X Lion

I am having a Phaser 6300DN printer and I was using it on snow leopard and everything was working fine and I did not had any issues with the same. Since updating to Mac OS X Lion I am getting an error message saying "optical photoconductor needs to be replaced". I had never faced the issue before, I don’t k now why I am getting this even though I have installed the printer successfully. The printer is working fine and its functionality is not getting affected by the error message but I wanted to know if anyone else has faced the same or have an idea regarding getting rid of it.

re: Optical photoconductor needs to be replaced error in Mac OS X Lion

For replacing the dell printer’s photoconductor drum you can follow the below steps:
    • First open the front panel the printer, you have to pull the panel towards your slowly and make sure that you are pulling both sides of the panel. After removing it install the new drum unit doing opposite of what you did for removing it.
    • Once the photoconductor drum is installed Press and hold the "Cancel" button from the main panel of the printer until the lights on the printer flashes. Once the printer gets reset the newly installed photoconductor drum should get recognized without any issue.

Hey thanks for the same but as I have mentioned there is nothing wrong with the photoconductor drum. I don’t know why I am getting that error message. If there was something wrong with it then why would it allow me to print even after that error message I have crossed check out the printer by installing it on a snow leopard system and I am not getting the same error there. It all started after updating my system to Mac OS X Lion. I am quite sure there is something wrong at the software end and not the printer probably with Mac OS X Lion.

Even I am going through the same with Fuji Xerox Printer, like you have said the functionality of the printer is not getting affected and it is working fine. Even I have installed the printer successfully and I am quite sure that this issue is with Mac OS X Lion. Some people had suggested me to update the printer driver so I have tried that as well and it did not made any difference at all. Other than this I have tried out resetting the printer, have installed the latest firmware available as well. Previously I thought there is something wrong with the printer itself so I tested out with other printer and unfortunately I got the same response from it. While looking after a solution for the same on web I have come across people mentioning that they have contacted apple support and found them to be aware of the same. Apple support has told them that they are looking in to this matter and will come with an update soon. I don’t know what to do now, so if any one comes across a solution to get rid of this error then please share it here it will be highly appreciated.

I have found a workaround for Fuji Xerox Printer regarding “Optical photoconductor needs to be replaced” error. So if you want then you can give it a try and see if it is helping.
    • If you are having latest driver installed form Fuji website then it won’t work with Lion as they are PPC code one’s. So you will have to first install the driver on some other computer and copy then in to an usb drive and plug that usb to your Mac OS X Lion system and choose that file while installing the driver for the printer.
    • I also wanted to add some people have mentioned that Lion 10.7.3 have fixed the issue, so you all can try updating to Lion 10.7.3 and find out if it is actually fixing the issue or not.

In that case I will like to inform you that I have already updated to Lion 10.7.3 and the issue has not yet been fixed, at least for me. I don’t know how come it has helped out others. Anyways I have tried out your suggestion of copying the driver in an usb drive from some other computer and then installing the driver from the same on to mac but doing that did not made any difference as well and I am still getting that error message while printing. Luckily it is not stopping the printing process but I really want to get rid of this error as soon as possible.

Hey guys I just wanted to share that I was facing the same error message with Xerox 6130n some weeks ago and I had tried updating the driver at that time and had not got any help. I had contacted the apple support as well as Xerox support and they both had said that they are aware of the same and they are looking in to this matter and will come up with an update. So a week ago there was an updated driver at the Xerox website and after installing that I have not yet faced the same error message. So I think that we just need an update from printer manufacturer or apple. I don’t think that there is any other solution to fix this out. So if you have not yet solved out this error then better contact your printer manufacturer and apple and see if they are having any updates on it or no.Best of luck.

Re: Optical photoconductor needs to be replaced error in Mac OS X Lion

I have OS X 10.8.5 and get "The Optical Photoconductor needs to be replaced" every time I print. It takes about ten minutes to get a PDF printed. I am printing on a Konica Minolta Bizhub C284. HELP!!

Re: Optical photoconductor needs to be replaced error in Mac OS X Lion

Quote Originally Posted by golfgars View Post
    I have OS X 10.8.5 and get "The Optical Photoconductor needs to be replaced" every time I print. It takes about ten minutes to get a PDF printed. I am printing on a Konica Minolta Bizhub C284. HELP!!
    There was a solution given on the apple community that you can follow below to solve this issue:

1. From the Finder menu choose Go, then Go to Folder...
    2. Enter /etc/cups/ppd in the Go to Folder dialog box and choose Go.
    3. Find the ppd named ColorPrinter.ppd. (This is the same name as the ColorPrinter in Print and Fax with a .ppd extension. )
    4. Drag the ColorPrinter.ppd to the Desktop.
    5. Open the ColorPrinter.ppd with TextEdit.
    6. At the end of the PPD add the following line exactly as written: *cupsSNMPSupplies: False
    7. Save the modified ColorPrinter.ppd to the Desktop.
    8. From the /etc/cups/ppd folder, move the original ColorPrinter.ppd to the trash. Authenticate when prompted.
    9. Drag the modified ColorPrinter.ppd from the Desktop to the /etc/cups/ppd folder. Authenticate when prompted.