Thread: unable to share File between Mac OS X Lion and Windows 7

sad unable to share File between Mac OS X Lion and Windows 7

I own a mac mini running on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion where as a computer running on Windows 7. I am having a NTFS based single file sharing setup on my Mac. The problem that I am having here is that I am unable to share File between Mac and my computer. Whenever I am entering the password for connecting to Mac then it says that I am entering incorrect password and prompts me to enter it again. I am quite sure that I am entering the right password but I don’t know why it is mentioning it as wrong. It keeps on saying this “To enable file sharing using smb for my name. Enter the password for that account”. I have been trying to enter the password several times but I am not getting any luck here. Is there anything that I can try out to get rid of this issue?

Re: unable to share File between Mac OS X Lion and Windows 7

Hope you are not missing out anything from these steps:
    • First open “System Preferences” from Apple menu and Click on “Sharing” icon from “Internet & Wireless” section after that click on Lock icon for unlocking and turn on the “File Sharing” service by check marking that option.
    • When you are done with the same then select the folder that you are willing to share under “Shared Folders” section and select the current logged in user Under “Users” section. You should also make sure that you are changing the user Rights to “Read & Write” and changing Rights of “Everyone” to “No Access”.
    • After that click on the “Options” button and check mark the “Share files and folders using SMB (Windows)” option as well as the logged in user name Check-box. Now enter the password and click on ok and make a note of the IP address that will be shown on your mac.
    • Now just close the File sharing window and open Run on your computer by pressing Ctrl+R and enter the IP address that you have noted down and click on ok. When you are asked for username and password then enter the same that you had entered in Mac and click on ok.
    • After you have completed all this you will be able to get the shared folders of Mac OS X Lion in Windows 7.

Just check it out and make sure that you are not missing anything. I also wanted to know that are you not able to pass the authentication on your mac or on your computer. Just let me know about it so that I can have a better idea about your case and will try to help you further as well.

I am not missing any steps from above and I am quite sure that I am entering the right password. I am not able to pass the authentication after entering ip address in my computer. I wanted to add that I was not having the same issue when I was on Snow leopard and it all started after updating to Lion. Is it some kind of bug or so, I am really running out of ideas now. Is there anything else that I need to check out or any workaround that I can try out further to pass the authentication?? Any further help regarding the same will be highly appreciated.

I am not sure if these solutions will work for but then if you want then you can give them a try and see if you are able to fix it out.
    • Try resetting the password
    • Try disabling firewall on your Mac
    • Try enabling and disabling File sharing
    • Try adding and removing the shares.

Just check out these things and post back the result you get.

After your suggestion I have tried resetting the password, disabling firewall on your Mac, enabling and disabling File sharing, adding and removing the shares but no matter what I have tried so far I am still not able to pass the authentication from the computer. I did not had any issues in passing the authentication for mac but I don’t know why is it not allowing to pass the same from computer even though when I am entering same password.

Have you tried Disabling SMB Signing, if not the try out the same and see if you are getting any help from it. You have to set Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications as well as Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications to disabled. For that follow the below steps:
    Goto to the file server click on start> Run> type “gpedit.msc” without the quotes and hit enter, now go to Computer Configuration within GPEDIT> Windows Settings> Security Options> Local Policies and check out for the mentioned policies and disable them.
    Just give it a try and let me know it was helpful.

I have been facing the same issue and I will like to inform you that this issue is within Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. It was not there in snow leopard, I have been looking after a solution for the same in other forums as well and have come across a number of people suffering the same have not yet found an effective solution for fixing it out, the above steps are working well with snow leopard. Actually In my case I have passed the authentication but I am not able to open .max or office files, I am just having access to image files and Illustrator. There are people having issues with authentication as well and even they have not been able to find out a solution for it. Some have mentioned that they have moved back to snow leopard as even apple supports were not able to help them out. After trying out a lot of troubleshooting I am just tired of the same and even I am willing to backup my data and move to snow leopard again. If you get any updates further on this then share it here.