Thread: Delete windowsESD folder safely in Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Delete windowsESD folder safely in Windows 8 Consumer Preview

I downloaded the Windows 8 consumer preview in my PC from the official website of Microsoft. After the download completed, I installed Windows 8 consumer preview in my PC and I started using it. While exploring the C drive where all the system files of Windows 8 were stored I found that windowsESD folder was still remaining there. I mean what is the use of that file after Windows 8 had been properly installed. It was just occupying hard disk space which I can use for other software if needed. Is it safe to remove the WindowsESD folder so that Windows 8 is not harmed or any other applications are disturbed?

Re: Delete windowsESD folder safely in Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Removing WindowsESD file from your computer won’t do any major harm to the working of Windows 8 in your computer. This folder contains all the system files that can be needed to re-install the system. You can remove the folder, but I won’t suggest you to do it. It will be use full if want to use the Push Button Reset feature. The Push Button Reset restores the factory settings back in the Windows 8. You won’t have to install the whole system or repair the system. This is useful when too many processes start accumulating in your system and you need to reset the system to make it work at its natural speed. Even if you are so keen on removing the folder, you can use Disk Cleanup to remove the folder.

As I mentioned that Push Button Reset feature needs to use the folder, the location of it will be registered in many places in your system. Directly deleting the WindowsESD folder will disturb all those links and might disturb the working. When Disk Clean up is used, it will safely break the links and then remove the folder from your system. Use the ‘Clean up system file’ option and then keep the ‘Previous Windows Installations’ and ‘Temporary Windows Installation files’ options enabled. This will safely remove the windowsESD file from your system.