Thread: Ubuntu issues on Acer Aspire Timelinex 3820T.

Ubuntu issues on Acer Aspire Timelinex 3820T.

I am having an Acer Timelinex 3820T laptop since its release. Couple of months ago i installed Ubuntu 10.04 that is Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (64 bit version of Kernel 2.6.32-22) installed on the same. Since last few days am noticing that it is effecting my fan speed. Its fan is not working at all and processor is getting overheated even in short span of time. I am even not able to trace the fan speed.

There are few more problems that i face such as sound issues, screen brightness issues etcc. I want some permanent solution over this so can anyone help? So I hope someone can guide me in regards of this.

Re: Ubuntu issues on Acer Aspire Timelinex 3820T.

I’ll suggest that you must try fancontrol. The package name is just fancontrol and it depends on the Im-sensors which are preinstalled on the notebook. Use the “pwmconfig” script to configure it. If it is not accessible then use “sudo pwmconfig” as it will need elevated privileges. This will allow you to get and set the settings for the Fan speed, it also defines the temperatures at which the fans should be start or stopped. Don’t use the system until you fix the overheating issue as it will eventually harm your system. I think downloading and installing BIOS update which is available from the Acer website and may be this will fix the issue for you.

I guess the the 64bit version does not go well with the Acer Aspire so its better I would suggest you to use a 32bit system and it will not have any overheating issues. I have seen in most of the 64bit systems the fans don’t work or even if they work, they work at very less speed so I would better suggest you to go for a 32bit system and check if you are still facing the same problem. I hope this will solve your problem.

If you want to keep the default brightness setting for your laptop then you can do it using a single line code. First try to make the changes using the keyboard shortcuts or by using the power management menu of Ubuntu. Type the following code.
    Code:
    sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=xx
    Here xx is the brightness you desire in the hexadecimal range from 0 which is brightest to FF that is no brightness at all. I will recommend you to keep it EO if you are running your laptop on battery as it will save your battery power.

As you are using Fn+arrow keys, it will display the brightness indicator in the genome and you can adjust brightness from there but it will not change the actual of the display so to make changes to the actual brightness follow the below code.
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    Now change line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=”acpi_osi=Linux”
    After this run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    This worked for me I hope it even works for you as well.

I think you will have to modify the alsa mixer conf file to make it recognize the hardware soundcard. Make use of the following commands and it will help you for sure.
    The file location will be as follows:
    Code:
    /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    Now see how to edit it, in the following code I have used nano for text editing you can use gedit, vi, or any one you like.
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    At the last line add this one code:
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=lifebook
    That’s it just reboot the system and everything will work fine for you. Plug in the headphones and enjoy the music of your choice.