Thread: Getting "configuration information could not be read from the domain controller" when changing password in windows 7

Getting "configuration information could not be read from the domain controller" when changing password in windows 7

I have been running windows 7 in my system and the problem that I am facing now is that whenever i try changing my password by login in to the administrator account it failes and gives an error saying

"configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either because the machine is unavailable, or because access is denied".
    I don’t know what is the issue all about and in my case I am running a home network with 2 computers connected but then I have never faced the same issue before, is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about it and can help me with the same??

Re: Getting "configuration information could not be read from the domain controller" when changing password in windows 7

If you want then you can change the Password to CTRL+ALT+DEL Screen by using a REG File, you can get the REG File from the below attachment, you will just have to save the .reg file to the desktop and after that right click on the same and then click on Merge and after that click on Run and the on yes and then again on yes and then finally on the ok prompt, when you are done with the same then you can remove or delete the prompt from the desktop if you don’t want it. If that is not helping then you can try changing the password through the Local Group Policy Editor and for that you just have to follow the below steps:
    • First open all users, specific users or groups and then click on expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, System in the left pane and then clock on Ctrl+Alt+Del and after that right click on Remove Change Password in the right pane and then click on Edit.
    • Now for changing the Password you can Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled and then click ok and then just close the Local Group Policy Editor window and you are done.

Just try out the above solutions and see if they are helping you out to get rid of the issue, if not then let me know so that I can try to help you with some other workaround if possible. Just check it out and then post back the result that you get.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Getting "configuration information could not be read from the domain controller" when changing password in windows 7

You can try out the above attached file, it should work for sure. But if still you facing the same problem then you can try changing the account password by using system restore and for that you need to have a Windows installation disk, if you are not having the same then you can create a repair disk for resetting the account password in Windows 7 and after that follow the below steps:
    • First you will have to set the Boot Priority in the BIOS to the optical drive and after that reboot the system and then insert the disk and then again restart the pc and then when you get "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" message then press spacebar and after the "Windows is loading files" initial makes sure that you are selecting language, time and keyboard preferences and after that click on next and then on "Repair your computer" option.
    • When you are done with the same then choose "System Restore". Option and after that select a restore point before you started experiencing this problem and after that click on finish, when the System Restore "checkup" gets finished then you will get a window saying "Confirm your Restore Point" so just click on finish and then click on yes in the next window, Now after this restart the system for the changes to take the effect.
    • After the system restarts then you can use the password that you had before the Restore Point and then when the Windows restarts then you will get a window saying "System Restore Completed Successfully" so you can close the same and proceed.

Hope that helps.