Thread: Recovering an unallocated partition with bitlocker encryption in Windows 7

Recovering an unallocated partition with bitlocker encryption in Windows 7

I have recently assembled computer for me and have installed the Windows 7 on it. I have made total four partition to it and one of the partition (F: drive) is encrypted with the help of the bitlocker. Everything was working well without any problem but last night, I was trying to shrink drive D to free some volume and I found that the F: drive disappeared from windows. I am still able to see that on the diskmgmt but that is coming as the unlocated partition. Total space consumed by this drive is 75 GB.

Now, I am not having access to that partition in any way. So I am posting here with the hope that I can get some good suggestion from the people over here. If anybody over here has anything that could help me then please let me know that. I will be thankful for all the replies for this.

Re: Recovering an unallocated partition with bitlocker encryption in Windows 7

I guess you need to use Active recovery partition tool and see if that helps you in some way. I would like to tell you that the Active Partition Recovery is the compact DOS software tool which is very much helpful in order to recover (undelete) deleted partition as well as the logical disks from the computer hard drive. It is also capable to back up the MBR (Master Boot Record), partition table, boot sector as well as restore as of the backup. This is very much helpful if in case the partition is deleted/hidden by the virus. With the help of the Active Partition Recovery, you will be able to make disk images and after that, run it from the boot disk.

I don’t think that there is any way to recover the data from that drive but if you want to really utilize the space than better delete the 75.11GB free space partition so that it will be available as the unallocated space. When you are done with that then you can create a new partition and allocate the free space to that partition. Other than this, if you don’t want to create a new partition then simply merge the free space with some other partition. This is the only way that I can think of for now. Let’s see if someone can post with any better suggestion to take you out if this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BethanyI View Post
    I don’t think that there is any way to recover the data from that drive but if you want to really utilize the space than better delete the 75.11GB free space partition so that it will be available as the unallocated space. When you are done with that then you can create a new partition and allocate the free space to that partition. Other than this, if you don’t want to create a new partition then simply merge the free space with some other partition. This is the only way that I can think of for now. Let’s see if someone can post with any better suggestion to take you out if this issue.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I also thought of the same thing earlier but problem is that the option "delete partition" is disabled in my case. I was searching for the way to do this but the solutions that I got failed to work for me. So you have some workaround for this.

I dont know how you tried deleting where you dint got any option to delete. Anyways, if you want then you can follow the steps given below. This is deleting the partition with the help of Disk Management:

• First of all, go to the Control panel and select all item view.
    • After this, click on the Administrative Tools icon and close Control Panel window.
    • Open the Computer Management from the Administrative Tools and close Administrative Tools window.
    • Click the Disk Management from the left pane which is under Storage.
    • Now just right click on the partition that you wish to delete and select Delete Volume. In case, if it is a logical partition then you will require deleting free space and it will make it unallocated space.
    • This will ask you for confirmation, click yes to confirm.
    • Now the partition is deleted which you selected earlier and free space is unallocated. If it is not done then you can repeat the same again because in some of the cases I have seen it takes more attempts to get this done. You can either make a new drive or extend some other existing drive.
    • Finally close the computer management window and you are done with that.

You can also do the same thing from Diskpart within the Elevated Command Prompt. If you want to do in this way then see the steps below:

1. Open command prompt, type 'diskpart' without quotes and Enter
    2. Now type, list volume and press enter. When you do that then you will get a list of volume numbers and you can select that to delete.
    3. Now type volume # and press enter. (# is volume number that was listed earlier)
    4. Enter delete volume in the elevated command prompt and hit enter button. If that is not able to delete then type delete volume override and hot enter button.
    5. Type exit and press enter.
    6. Now close the elevated command prompt.
    7. Now partition that you have selected is deleted and you can allocate the free space wherever you want

I think that using the MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition will be better option for you. It is the complete solution for the problems like this and it will surely be helpful for you.Mini Tool Partition Wizard Home Edition is an excellent, user-friendly partition manager that is free for home use. Mini Tool Partition Wizard can perform all standard operations with partitions: creates resize, remove, convert, copy, format, etc.

Mini Tool Partition Wizard Home Edition is a comprehensive partition manager. The program supports FAT and NTFS on Windows 2000, XP, Vista and 7 and both 32-bit and 64-bit versions (which is not all free partition managers can). Linux Ext2 and Ext3 partitions can also be edited. With Mini Tool Partition Wizard, you can obviously create, delete and format but the enlargement / reduction of existing partitions is also possible. Furthermore, a complete disc can be copied and partitions from FAT to NTFS be converted. Also, various characteristics of disks and partitions can be changed. Finally Partition Wizard disk overwrite the data so that it not be found. Recovery of the entire partition is also possible. For retrieving and repairing lost files on disks, the program referred to other free software from the manufacturer. Mini Tools Partition Wizard is a nice partition manager with many possibilities.
    Key Features

• Compatible with Windows 2000/XP/Vista and 7 (32 bit and 64 bit).
    • RAID support.
    • Extend system partition to maximize computer performance.
    • Manage your hard disk to increase performance significantly.
    • Create, delete, format partitions with simple steps.
    • Duplicate disc to protect or data transfer.
    • The support disk and partition size larger than 2 TB.
    • Convert the FAT partition to NTFS.
    • Partition Copy: Copy all contents of one hard drive into another.
    • Wizard Disk Copy: Copy all content of hard drive to some other drive without reinstalling Windows.
    • Disc Map - preview changes previous to applying.
    • Hide/unhide partition, set active partition, etc.
    • Explore FAT / NTFS partition.
    • Set the partition as primary.
    • Set the partition as logical.
    • Rebuild MBR.
    • Test disc surface.
    • Partition of the test surface.
    • Change partition serial number.
    • Change the type of Partition ID.
    • Extend partitions without rebooting the system.

There are very very less chances that you will be able to recover all your lost data from the drive because that is encrypted with the bitlocker. If you want to recover the data then there is just one option for you and is using ubuntu live CD. Just get the Ubuntu live CD and then boot from that CD. See if you are able to get access to the F: Drive which is encrypted.

If you get access to the drive then take the backup of the drive and after that you can delete and rebuild the dive. After making new drive, restore the backup into that drive and you are done with the backup. This is the only possible way that I can say now otherwise there is no way to get the backup.