Thread: Computer wont boot up after installing ubuntu

Computer wont boot up after installing ubuntu

In order to backup my drive I installed linux ubuntu into my computer machine using wubi. As according to my knowledge the installation was done successfully without any error or problem (already I have performed installing Ubuntu onto my several other mahcines). This time the reason I installed Ubunutu was because my original hard drive is only 40GB. what I did was swapped this original drive with a second HDD of 250 GB. when I took out the 40GB drive and replaced it with the 250GB one I got an error message "c:/bootmgr" instead of the system booting up properly but then when I install both 40GB and 250GB into the machine I get both of them boot up successfully without fail. Now I literally doubt my installation process, did I installed the OS properly or I committed some sort of mistake while installing it. if anyone has any experience of installing this OS on a back drive then please let me know, how can I install it on a back up drive and then have that drive as the only boot option? Or its only work whether there is a windows HDD present.

Re: Computer wont boot up after installing ubuntu

Probably you installation must have the boot information on the boot drive and also along way on the second drive and as it take both the drive to boot you can easily notice the difference and the changes that takes place. Why don't you first arrange the hard drives arranged and fixed properly the way you want and then install the OS, if possible try out this alternate reverse solution. And even if no changes takes place then surely the problem is with your new 250GB HDD. The reason I doubt your 250GB hard drive is because I personally feel that the problem occurs only after you remove your old drive and install this new one. as you already told that when you try to remove the old drive and then keep the new one you are bound to receive that error message. If you have any other stock HDD with you then please try it in place of this 250GB drive.

Let me clear one thing, I have already mentioned above that I was using wubi. So definitely if a person is using a wubi then he must have installed the OS as the second option, I mean as the second operating system. The problem was that I didn't have a DVD drive for putting it on a disc and install it; instead I need to install from wubi to the second hard drive which was done successfully, however I did missed the boot for the 250GB. I feel that it is on the correct hard drive as there is no such boot command as it needs windows for booting.

I do agree with the drive issue. but other than that I would like to tell you that DVD media and the drives come up too cheaply than that of all the work of data recovery. I personally feel that Ubuntu, especially in this case is like a windows application when we use a wubi install. As you do not have a DVD and media I would better suggest you to however arrange the drives as according to your requirement and then install from the USB flash drive. The best and the most recommended way for installing Ubuntu from the USB flash drive is to use the USB Creator program. You need to point it at the ISO image of the Ubuntu installation CD that has been downloaded by you and then allow it to create a bootable USB that is being used rather than the CD.

You are suppose to acquire the correct Ubuntu installation files i.e.' the ISO' and tools, then put up Ubuntu in your USB flash drive. Once done Configure your computer in order to boot from USB flash drive and boot from it. Now try Ubuntu or else try to install to your hard drive.

Yeah installing the OS using an USB flash drive is the best way I feel. You can do this with a simple procedure. You need have to worry about it. its as simple as coping a normal data file to the USB flash drive. There are certain things that you need to know.
    • Fist if you own a desktop computer then remember that a Desktop or server always requires a 2 GB USB flash drive and not less than that
    • Before starting any kind of operation their betters recommended checking out the USB flash drive thoroughly for the files and the data and then back them all together if needed.
    • Now put the Ubuntu system files on the USB flash drive, note that if you make it bootable than surely it is going to destroy all the other pre existing files and data on the USB flash drive. So you need not have to worry about the space until you have got the USB drive less than 2GB. Already told you that it should be 2GB or more than that
    • The Windows utility will not allow you to select the USB flash drive if the drive is not formatted properly the way it should have been formatted and mounted.
    • The 11.04 Natty Narwhal installation does not work with SanDisk's USB flash drives with U3 Launchpad present
    • You will have to either remove it with the help of u3-tool from Ubuntu Repositories or with SanDisk's tool that is to be able to use it. Rest all other brands of USB flash drives work fine so you need not have to worry about them.

Yeah you are right with the Natty Narwhal 11.04. The 11.04 Natty Narwhal is actually having some issue with the USB flash drives from SanDisk that have U3 Launchpad. Already it has been mentioned and permitted in the official site that we can use some other brand or use either u3-tool from Ubuntu Repositories or SanDisk's U3 Launchpad Removal Tool for removing U3 as already been told above. The 10.04.3 too is having the same issue, there are chances that you might end up getting a segmentation issue if you use form the command line. There are already numbers of launchpad bugs with respect to the segmentation fault.

Also the 9.10 CDs and DVDs do not have the usb –creator.exe program that is used by the windows installation processes. If you need to install the i386 desktop version to a USB flash drive from the disk image onto windows then make sure to use the best and the easiest way that has been described in its official site. You can simply install to your hard disk s according to your wish at any point of time when you boot up the resulting live persistent USB.
    And if on the detection stage you are encountering any sort of incorrect CD ROM kind of error message simply reboot and then hit the F6 button and ESC so that you can enter the manual boot line editing. once you are done with that add the following option 'cdrom-detect/try-usb=true'.

And if the above steps for some reason don’t sove your CD ROM detection issue and if you have used up the "Universal USB Installer" for the USB flash drive preparation you might get another alternate solution; this would be trying UNetbootin. And if the problem still persists with UNetbootin then press Tab key at the splash screen in order to access the boot line editor. There are some BIOS like the Eee PC netbook that have problem in identifying the USB boot status, they have trouble with making out whether the USB is bootable or not. However you may have to get it to the booting with the help of the following methods. What you need to do is at boot: just enter the BIOS by pressing the F2 key and then right while getting out of the BIOS and press the Esc key. There are systems present for which it will somehow bring up the boot menu easily.