Thread: How do you find Windows 8?

How do you find Windows 8?

I am a very loyal Microsoft user and so I happened to use both, the consumer preview and the developer preview that was released by them. And I obviously liked this one too. I have tried it on my old core 2 Duo laptop. But I guess there is a very varied opinion about the OS. I would like to share what I felt about it and would like to listen to you all too. This is my honest opinion about Windows 8
    According to me, Metro UI is far better than the Start menu. I know we’ll miss the start button. But that is how things are, new things are known to kick old stuffs out. One reason why I find Metro better is because while using the same Normal Start button, we are not allowed to interact with the programs that originally reside on the desktop. The changes that they have brought about in the section of Windows Explorer, by introducing the Office-Ribbon style. Also, the introduction of Weather Display, Calendar and such other widgets is like awesome.

But yeah, the inconsistency shown by the Metro with the desktop is not an acceptable thing. The opening of photographs directly into Metro’s Photo app and also the music and video files is very irritating.
    It would also be very interesting to see how are the features and beauty of Windows 8 being positively exploited by the tablets and all. The metro looks like compatible with the touch users but I was wondering how will things work with the desktop mode.

Having said all this, Windows 8 still has tremendous scope of improvement and Microsoft will definitely come up with more reasons for we users to opt for Windows 8. I have given my take on Windows 8. So guys, what do you all think about the new version?

Re: How do you find Windows 8?

I don’t like Metro in particular. I did not really love the entire experience of using it. Let me make it very clear that I am not at all against the technical advancement and betterment on old things. Versionofication of many software and hardware have actually led to its betterment, Windows itself being the greatest example for this. But what Microsoft has done is nothing but mere aping of Mac. Trust me, I have loved using the same thing on Mac. Look, it is not always about the idea, it is more about the execution. Also, motive is what matters. Metro is nothing but Microsoft’s latest attempt to grab the last cent in your wallet. You know, Metro makes it easy and almost mandatory to buy applications online.

Also, things you mentioned to be annoying are definitely annoying without the slightest of the doubts. It is very annoying to switch between Metro and the standard desktop. Customization, flexibility, everything has its own importance. But what about convenience? When you talk about an interface that is one of the most important things in it. And about the scope of improvement, there is extra-ordinary scope for that and even now, if Microsoft gets back to its primary principle of Customer-friendly products, things can get awesome considering the potential and previous track record

A couple of netbooks that I own has Windows 8 Consumer Preview installed on it. Both of these sported Windows 7 initially and now they are working quite well with Windows 8 as its sole operating system. However, this version of Windows 8 you do not have the privilege of disabling the Metro theme as you could possibly do with the Developer’s preview. However, using 3rd party installer software for this purpose is a considerable option. Software like Classic Shell works with Windows 8 giving us the start button as well as the classic old list of menus

There is another alternative present with which you can switch between the standard view and the metro view. Even that puts the same start button and the same menu hich belongs to Windows 7 to Windows 8. There is also an option where in you can chose one of them to appear on start up and all. ClassicShell have been rightly installed on Windows 8 PC which also gives me various games and other entertainment options, and since, I have been working with the notebook, I have been using all normal programs and applications that used to work with Windows 7 and none of them shows a problem

One issue which I am wondering is not discussed here is the bug that ever existed. The problem is that if you happen to start and open files again and again then the right click seems to stop working which is a bit of annoyance. However as soon as a restart is done, it just works perfect!

It is just a consumer preview version and might end soon, agreed! But let me tell you that soon will come only in Jan 2013 which is way too far.

I recently heard that Microsoft is coming out with something called an RC version of Windows 8 which I said to have more rocking features than ever existed. Also, it is being reported that almost all bugs and error that ever existed with Windows 8 CP and DP have been efficiently removed.
    Also, I have bought a few Windows 7 installation disk when it will be time to bid Windows 8 a heavy hearted good bye

There is another unique issue reported these days. This definitely is not an issue, this is a solution to piracy from Microsoft. The problem is that, as per the current scenario only one computer can be activated with Windows disk and that is a serious issue. i.e. a product key once used cannot be reused. You have to buy a fresh one.

Apart from all this, I totally love using Windows 8 and can be termed a potential customer to its original release.