Thread: Getting Error code C0000218 and also unable to get to Safe Mode in Windows XP

Getting Error code C0000218 and also unable to get to Safe Mode in Windows XP

My windows XP system won’t start up properly whenever I try to boot up normally. I get the same error code that I have mentioned above, this error code: C0000218 states Registry File Failure. Tried many ways and various tasks to get rid of this error code but don’t know for what reason its not allowing me to boot the system properly. Did lot of research and R&Ds and found that I need to boot up my machine into Safe mode. Believing that the machine would start work properly at least in Safe mode when I tried to boot up in safe mode noticed that I was also unable to even get to Safe mode; every time I tried to get to safe mode I end up getting the same BSOD error message. Until now didn’t come up with any perfect and working solution for resolving this problem other than re-formatting the hard drive. Is there anyone who is getting the same error code while booting into their windows XP system? If yes then what solution you prefer to get rid of it?

Re: Getting Error code C0000218 and also unable to get to Safe Mode in Windows XP

Now sure with the solution but at least I can let you know the main cause reason for getting this error message. Ok I can understand the issue, this error code is exactly for Registry file failure. This error code occurs when you try to install Microsoft windows XP on to a new hard disk that is being formatted with the NTFS file system. You end up getting the following error:
    Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate

After the windows XP copies the installation files to the hard disk and when the computer system restarts or reboots this error occurs. Now this issue is caused only while two of the following conditions, I mean when either of the condition is fulfilled:
    • Suppose if you trying to install windows XP and the hardware where you are trying to install it is not compatible with Windows XP
    • Again if you are trying to install windows XP and you find that the hard disk where you are trying to install it is damaged

Re: Getting Error code C0000218 and also unable to get to Safe Mode in Windows XP

I have something to ask, can anyone let me know whether the image that is present on the entire computer systems are company provided image or a standard MS Windows XP image. Is there any possibility where I can use the regular Microsoft XP SP3 CD to boot from getting and use the recovery console, actually the thing is that the only CD present with me is the regular Microsoft XP SP3 CD. If I can’t boot from this CD then the only option left with me is to re-image the hard drive.

Regarding the error code, the first thing I did was searched a lot about it and found that I need to have an Win XP disk for booting from it in order to get to the recovery console. A profession tech person says that the current windows XP image on my system is not a standard Microsoft image, its actually a company image which is not present in a CD or a drive format. If the actual image is one of my company then is it possible that I use a standard Microsoft windows XP CD to boot from and then get to the recovery console.

For the proper solution and best result there are 3 things or you can say steps which can help you to recover from this problem. The first thing you need to check is to make sure that you use the hardware that is compatible with windows XP.
    You can probably get all the latest information and details about the compatibility of the hardware and windows XP, for the best information visit Microsoft Web site. You might find two articles which could help you in knowing few the best things, those articles:
    • Microsoft Support Policy on Hardware Not On Windows NT HCL
    • The Latest Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List

After checking out the compatibility list if you find your hardware is listed under the latest windows XP hardware compatibility list then you could use the recovery console in order to confirm that your hard disk or file system Is not corrupted or damaged. Its very much recommended to use the recovery console only if you are an advanced user or an administrator. Also if I am not mistaken then I think only the administrator account has the rights to access the recovery console. Anyways for confirming whether the hard disk or the file system is damaged or not you need to follow the following steps:
    • From the Windows XP CD drive, start your computer. If you are prompted with a message then you can select any of the options that you need to select in order to start from the CD drive
    • If you are told to select Repair or Recover you need to press R, this should probably start the Microsoft Recovery Console
    • In order to specify the Windows XP installation in the hard disk I think you may have to enter the number. Anyways again if you are prompted simply type the Administrator password and if you have set the Administrator password as blank then just press ENTER
    • You can now, use the chkdsk command line tool for examine the hard disks. In the command prompt you need to type chkdsk /r
    • Once you press enter after typing, you will be shown with the result, Read the results. Then take any of the appropriate steps that is necessary for the completion the process such as, you could be prompted to run chkdsk /f to fix certain problems
    • Now simply reboot the system and then try to run Setup again if possible

If you want to start your system with the help of the Windows XP CD drive then remember that your CD drive or the DVD drive should be able to configure for doing this. For more detailed information about configuring the system to start from the CD drive or DVD drive its suggested to check out your computer documentation or else contact the computer manufacturer.

If you find your hard disk damaged and if its cannot be repaired then I think you will have to replace it somehow. Better you contact the computer manufacturer or the retailer from where you have purchased your system. Or even if you contact a technical expert for the same thing even then its fine, you can get some more information about how you can replace the hard disk from them. if you really wanted to know much more about replacing the hard disks then you can visit the microsoft’s official site as already suggested above. Over there you can check out the following three articles: How to install and use the recovery console in Windows XP, Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console, How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP.