Thread: How to disable Current Java for Mac OS X 10.6 update 8

How to disable Current Java for Mac OS X 10.6 update 8

I have been facing multiple numbers of problems and issues with my MacBook Pro since last 3 to 4 months. There are certain doubts and question going around in my mind regarding the java update which according to me is the main cause of my issue I guess. My MacBook pro is some 3 years old and now its showing me some kind of mess. I have been seeing in most of the threads where people are mentioning about their needs and wish in disabling the current java for Mac OS X 10.6 update 8. I still remember in one of the post the user said that in his system safari crashes all the time whenever he opens it after he installed the Java updates. For you information let me tell you that even I am currently using Safari and “Enable Java” has until now been checked. I always keeps on thinking how exactly a Mac user will come about the new update, I mean how he will know whether he should carry on with installing the updates for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 8. As according to my knowledge it says “If you do not use Java applets, you should disable the Java web plug-in your web browser” and for me its safari. Is there any appropriate suggestion or trick anyone can let me know. How I can know whether the updates are safe for me or not.

Re: How to disable Current Java for Mac OS X 10.6 update 8

I think you should go on with installing the update that appears on the software updates. Make sure that you install the updates from the recent release and not some older one, the previous update was released on April 3 or 4 I guess. Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 8 actually helps you with removing one of the most common variants of the flashback malware. This update however delivers Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_31 and also overtakes all the other previous versions of Java for Mac OS X v10.6, this update is very much suggested to all users who have Mac OS X v10.6. Before you go on to install this update it recommended to quit any of the web browsers if you are using them and also other java application that are opened.
    As according to my knowledge it says “If you do not use Java applets, you should disable the Java web plug-in your web browser” and for me its safari. Is there any appropriate suggestion or trick anyone can let me know. How I can know whether the updates are safe for me or not.
    If you receive such message then make sure that you disable the Java in Safari without fail. For disabling the Java web plug-in in safari you just have do the following things. First go to Safari then choose Safari > Preferences or press Command-comma (⌘-,), then click Security. After that Uncheck or deselect the option “Enable Java”. Once done with everything Close the Safari preferences window.

I too have the same doubts and problem. The thing is that I need to turn off the Java applet and plugin in Firefox and not in safari. I have bit knowledge about the all the technical aspects of computer and java updates. The updates that have been mentioned above are actually not available with me but I was wondering that it might be due to the presence of SL. Just wanted to know what I would be if I uncheck the 2 checkboxes in Utilities, java preferences, General tab. I have a slight doubt that all this will cause a problem with the WebCT platform that they use for the online students; there are some two java programs that they require which has been installed and checked but however I am not sure whether it is the same one. I already did unchecking the two under General tab in utilities and Java Preference. If you uncheck the top 64bit one, then the lower one too gets unchecked.

Yeah I do understand the thing. The SL update does go with some different name. And regarding un-checking the 2 checkboxes in Utilities I would suggest you to carry on with your option. As according to my knowledge apple always releases Mac OS X by keeping Java disabled by default due to some. You know until now from past one year I have never found any requirement for any standalone Java apps and also let me tell you that even now I don’t find any need of such apps. If you are an expert and if you do, you will surely know whether in what cases you need a java runtime to be installed.

Until now it has been understood that this malware has intruded via some unwanted and worst website and if the java for some reason is the actual patch for the prevention of the further interruption then surely your Java runtime should be very much well and fine. Its better recommended to keep the runtime disable for the safety and caution but for any of the personal reason if you need it you can simply use it.

Just to note down the difference and changes in the Utility, Java Pref, General Tab after I unchecked them I clicked the “Restore Defaults”, and what I noticed was that after I clicked on “Restore Defaults” both the options were checked again automatically. If there’s such a problem then why would they have them, it looks like they need go provide us with such an update that is more informative. When I was trying to install the update on one of the website and also in one of the post above it said that I am supposed to close all the browsers and the java applications before installing the update, but as far as I know the updates that come from apple never say or order such thing especially with the software updates.

Just wanted to ask that when I uncheck the utilities options including in Safari after disabling Utilities > Java Pref > General Tab, is it required for me to check them again and then let the software update continue with its work or simply leave them unchecked. If there is any other location where Java exists into my system I would seriously like to have all of them to be disabled by the updates.

Always remember that Java in Safari is always set to ON by default but that changes with a minor possibilities soon. The new one that has come up can disable all Java on the Mac system only if you keep it untouched or do not use it for next 30 to 35 days. You know if a program is needed to be closed by an update before it getting installed then the software update might wait before even installing it as the user has the rights to select to install the update without any involvement. Even in my case if I try to install a standalone update manually, it prompts me to quit if required. Maybe Snow Leopard’s default could be different as I know that Lion actually does not install any Java by its own self until and unless the user does it.

If you are looking out for disabling or turning off the Java applets then you might require to disable the Java Plugin in Firefox so that the Java applets automatically disables and runs no longer. For your knowledge let me tell you that by default the firefox allow the Java applets to launch automatically. Anyways in order to disable the Java applets in Firefox you need to do the following things:
    • First go at the top window of the Firefox they you need to click on the Tools menu and then select Add-ons
    • Now after selecting the Add-ons, a window will be opened. In the Add-ons window select the Plugins panel and then click on the Java (TM) Platform plugin to select it
    • After doing so click on the Disable button, after clicking if the button says Enable then surely java is already disabled.
    • Now once if you are done with disabling Java, java applets will surely no longer be able to launch in Firefox