Thread: How to Install Java on Windows XP

How to Install Java on Windows XP

I am newbie to this forum and currently studying my fy bsc IT syllabus. I have a keen interest in programming languages . Previously , I gathered knowledge regarding programming languages and the terms I mostly heard was java and .net. I later inquired regarding java as it came into view that there is a tremendous scope in this language . my friends suggested me regarding .net course and I am well set to prepare, but I need to learn more in java also. So guys I am not knowing anything regarding java and please assist me in installing it in my windows xp. There are other steps also required to follow to run a java program. I have a completely runable program and so I need to run the same . Can you assist me. I think java is compatible with windows xp setup right?

Re: How to Install Java on Windows XP

So as you are totally new to this platform, I need to say regarding basic concepts of java, it will be helpful to understand in deep. So, java is a programming language which allows programs to be written that can then be run on various operating system. So as you have the program written in Java, it can run on Windows, UNIX, Linux and so on. But you need to have java runtime environment installed. So if you don’t have java runtime environment , you need to install it.
    Before you carry on with online installation you need to disable your Internet firewall. In some situations the default firewall settings are set to refuse all automatic or else online installations such as the Java online installation. Or there is no matter if you have a setup file already. If the firewall is not configured properly it might install the download/install process of Java under certain circumstances.
    So after trying this the File Download dialog box comes into view prompting you to run or else save the download file .
    • So you need to click run after you run the installer.
    • And then start the installation process after saving it in your desired location.
    • So you may be knowing the installation process and you have your java setup.

After you have installed the setup file, by running the java executable that was installed, you will be able to run Java program. You might find it suitable to add the location of this file to your operating system's path variable, or else there is a requirement that you will require to explicitly refer to the absolute location of java.
    He most important step to follow is setting the path . as you are using Windows 2000/XP users may set their path by right-clicking on 'My Computer' and choosing 'Properties'. You need to first of all set the 'Environment variables' which will be under the 'Advanced' tab, Click on this and change the 'Path' variable so that it also
    enclose the path to the Java executable. For instance, if you have installed Java in c:\jdk and your path is at present set to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32, then you would modify your path to read C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32;c:\jdk\bin .
    and after opening a new command prompt the changes would take place and it will allow you to run java programs by typing "java". You need to first of all compile the program to see if there are errors and then make changes in the program to eliminate them . if you are compiling and running a java program for the first time, then you need to see that you have a proper runable program. So you need to first of all install the SDK, then you will also be able to run "javac" to compile stuff.
    I will also provide up setting path to those who are using Linux, UNIX, Solaris, FreeBSD and the users must set their PATH variable to point to where the java binaries have been installed. You also need to refer to your shell documentation if you don’t find any solution. For instance, if you employ bash as your shell, then the following line should be added to the end of your .bashrc: export PATH=/path/to/java:$PATH.

As well as setting up the path, you also require to tell Java where to locate compiled class files at runtime. You will almost certainly wish for to set the classpath to include at any rate the existing working directory (.)
    for instance: SET CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;.
    The classpath can as well contain other directories that might enclose compiled class files. Make a note of one thing that if you are making use of classes that are contained inside a .jar file, you will require to state the full path as well as name of this file in the classpath.

Setting up of up environment variables is necessary in java so here are some steps for JAVA_HOME environment variables:
    1. My Computer icon from start menu >>select properties>> Advanced Tab >> Environment Variables button
    2. You will be with System Variable, and then click New
    3. You need to then enter variable name as JAVA_HOME
    4. You need to enter the variable value as the install path for the Development Kit (C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_14\).
    5. Click OK >> Apply Changes.
    Then you are all set to run the hello world program. I guess you may be having the same program as it is your first program and to run your program, you need to move in the windows explorer and make a directory called c:\test.
    If you are not having any java program , I will provide for the same.
    Code:
    public class HelloWorld {
       public static void main(String[] args) {
          System.out.println("Hello, World");
       }
    }
    You need to create a file called c:\test\HelloWorld.java with the above content in the notepad.
    You also need to set your CLASSPATH environment variable , you will be having an System variable box, and then click on New , then type in CLASSPATH and a period ( . ) into the two text boxes, and then click ok .
    Then run your command prompt. Then type in cd \test.
    write javac in your command prompt and this will confirm that your setup was installed properly. Then it will have a whole log of some files , Type in javac HelloWorld.java which will state the errors and if that it ok, then you need to Type in java HelloWorld that will execute your program.

The previous post says it correctly as your hello world program could be executed rightly. But I need to add some more as it came to my notice that there are many guys who won’t know HelloWorld program running using netbeans . So first of all , you need to install netbeans and then after the setup, Click Start >> Programs >> NetBeans 5.5 >> NetBeans IDE. Then click Click File >> New Project and Next . you will be having an project Name , type HelloWorld then click Finish .this is the code you need to execute.

you will be able to that your HelloWorld program run successfully in the output window after clicking the run button. So that is the basic which beginners can run.

I am an intermediate user and I have previously made installation of java setup, but when I tested on my system with eth same operating system i. e windows xp installation always quits soon after started,and there are no warning or error messages which come across. I am installing Java EE SDK 6 and with SP3 and have an Java 6 Standard Edition previously installed. Later it came to my notice that disabling my firewall could solve my issue but there were no positive results regarding the same and tried with all possible solutions. I tried with the IIRC there are command-line options to the installer and I also tried with something like /v and I was supposing that it would work with the EE installer. But that was not the case. There is a message on the screen saying "loading java runtime environment". So can you guys make out what I am missing.

I was also having same issues as I was installing java and the setup id not installed. I tried with bundling the JavaEE SDK with an IDE like Netbeans 6.8 and that comprised of Glassfish 3 . I was not sure of one thing that if Eclipse has EE SDK bundles or not. And was trying several attempts to install the GlassFish and Java EE 6 SDKs. But was not installing. Later, simply installaling Glassfish 3 and at the time of compiling my EE apps, I made a setting with my classpath to javaee.jar in the glassfish's lib directory. To make my process more simpler, I tried with using a IDE which made this task much easier. And that was really solved. so you can consider my case and apply changes accordingly.

if you are using the EE SDK setup file , I need to ask the difference in the glassfish server setup file? It has been seen that the SDK file has those docs and samples.

I followed the mentioned steps for my WinXP computer in order , hope this helps you.
    1) you need to first uninstall your current Java SDK, glassfish, and netbeans
    2) then you need to install Java SDK 6u17
    3) using the windows only setup file (exe one) make an installation of glassfish 3 . you will be not having any start menus (default location c:\glassfishv3)
    4)then make an installation of glassfish 2 using the jar file. after this you will be not having any start menus . but make a note of one thing that you need to extract the jar in C: and default location is c:\glassfish.
    5) unchecking any servers, you need to make an installation of netbeans 6.8.
    6) then open the netbeans manually and add glassfish 2.x and 3.x
    7) you need to then start glassfish 2 by making use of the command "asadmin start-domain"
    8) you need to move to the //localhost:4848 along with //localhost:8080 page should load and you can then log in using admin .
    9) end glassfish 2 using command "asadmin stop-domain"
    10) steps 7 to 9 should be repeted for glassfish 3
    11) if you tend to deploy something .

I was facing similar issues as the EE version was not installing . I tried with this one also . made an un-installation of all the JDKs or JREs installed on the system along with netbeans also. Made an installation of JDK6 build 8 and ran the EEJDK6 installation but it was not working .but later it came to my notice that you need to make sure that there are NO SPACES in the Java EE SDK setup file. And after I removed spaces from the file name and then made a run, there were no silent crashes and currently I'm looking at the setup first page. I was with version: Java EE 6 SDK Update 1. And regarding the reason behind this one , I will say that the installer unpacks setup files to temp directory, and it passes the JRE executable which includes the name of that directory, which itself has the installer filename in its name, so there occurs a NullPointerException without some notice of the user.my friend was with the same situation and after he clicked the "java_ee_sdk-5_6-windows-nojdk.exe." button, rather than clicking run button, you need to click save button to save on your system , then double click after you have saved it. You will be able to install java ee after you have clicked on the saved icon.