Thread: Windows Restore Failure caused due Virus or Hardware Failure

Windows Restore Failure caused due Virus or Hardware Failure

I am bit confused here that the issue which I am facing is because of virus or hardware. I am going to explain my problem in detail which can help me to get better solution. First I have a Asus P5B motherboard. It supports DDR2 ram. The processor which I am using is Intel Dual Core and 2GB RAM. I have a 320Gb drive connected to my system on sata port. Everything was working fine. I am working on Windows 7. I had installed some software given for a project. After the installation I found that my system worked very poorly on that. I added a 2GB ram stick more and upgraded my processor to Core 2 Duo. This time I planned to install Windows 7 64 bit which was my biggest mistake. I installed the same and later on came to know that my system does not supports a 64bit operating system. That was a awful time where I just wiped out everything. Luckily I was having a image file which I had created a long time before when I was using Windows XP. Now I am not sure this is a clean copy of Windows because I had faced a major virus issue at that time. I restored the image file created by Acronis. I had run Windows Update to ensure all stuff is fine. System worked properly for some hours, a couple of reboots after installing 3rd party apps and nothing was major. Suddenly after a week the system was dead and didn't boot.

There were no error on the screen the system reboots on Windows XP logo. That was very irritating. I had copied my backup and now I am screwed up. I re-install Windows and found that it was cause because of some missing system files. But again last night the same issue appear. But the system did not die entirely. What should I do know.

Re: Windows Restore Failure caused due Virus or Hardware Failure

Do you have a additional hard drive or you can manage to have one. If yes install Windows 7 on that. Do not use the Acronis image file. It is recommended that you should use a fresh copy of Windows. Update it and install all your tools and use it. Use the existing hard drive as secondary for storage purpose only. It looks there is some issue with the drive itself. You must format your system a number of time as it reduces the hard drive life. If there is a virus then your Windows might corrupt again. In order to get rid of virus entirely you have to format your system completely leaving no files behind.

Re: Windows Restore Failure caused due Virus or Hardware Failure

This can be a ram issue. Remove the ram and wipe the edges with a ink rubber. See that there are no black spots on the same. They are carbon which blocks the proper functioning of system. Second thing you can start from scratch to get a stable system. First arrange something for backup. You can use a LiveCD to copy data from your drive to another. Then format the C and install Windows in traditional way. I hope you are using a genuine Windows copy. There is no guarantee that pirated copy will give you better output. One thing I want to mention is about the ram. You said that you had are using 2x2GB ram. Remove one stick and use the system. Then change the stick and then test the system back. It can be a ram fault also.