Thread: STOP 0x7B with new WinXP install on SSD

sad STOP 0x7B with new WinXP install on SSD

Please hear me out before you redirect me to some other post as I've seen many of them and they're being told to do things I'm unable to do.

Ok so just this morning I bought a SATA III PCIe 2.0 Host Adapter and a Corsair Force SATA 3 SSD disk. My plan is to install windows xp on this disk for faster start up and runtime.

I read about needing the SCSI drivers for the windows install, but having no floppy drive, I used nlite to put the SCSI drivers on the windows install disk.
    Now the SCSI drivers I used were the ones on the CD with the Adapter Card dated Feb 2011. Also, there were two drivers there, and one needs to be installed before the other, but nLite doesn't allow you to specify which one needs to be installed first. (Could this be the reason? How to go about it , if so?) However Windows setup recognised the SSD and was able to create partitions and copy setup files over. However on reboot, after 7 ot 8 passes of the Win XP loading progress bar, the PC BSODs with a STOP 0x7B (0xF789E524,0xC0000034,0x0,0x0)

The BIOS SATA Mode was set to AHCI, the Adapter controller is set to AHCI, and windows was installed in this mode. I read of a registry edit to set windows on AHCI but I can't get regedit to work as I can't load windows (!! Chicken <==> egg !! ). I tried switching BIOS SATA mode to IDE but to no avail - anyway the adapter states its AHCI and the BIOS Utility (CTRL-M) offers no option to change it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Motherboard is P5N-MX if it helps.

Re: STOP 0x7B with new WinXP install on SSD

An update...

says that

When Windows XP installation setup does not recognize the storage controller.
    This is usually caused when the system is setup either wiht RAID or AHCI mode enabled.
    Standard IDE will not have this issue.

and gives the solution:
    1. Switch the storage mode to IDE mode in bios.

Well, I've just done this (gone to BIOS and set SATA mode to IDE) but the status screen of the Adapter BIOS Utility still shows MODE: CPU AHCI... and installing windows with this setup, still BSODs on first reboot.

I'm thinking I should be changing the AHCI to IDE of the ADAPTER, not the BIOS... but the Utiilty (CTRL_M) does not offer that option... any ideas?

Another update...

I've attached the previous IDE Hard Disk, which still had Win XP on it, and booted from that (So a DIFFERENT Windows setup, I have as yet been unable to launch the OS off the SSD), and ran the MSU Manager from it - but found no way to change the AHCI to IDE on the Controller.

I also made a virtual disk (out of the single SSD I have - sounds stupid I know), just in case it was being expected to work as a RAID 0 disk when it wasn't (as it was being identified as a RAID 0 disk in BIOS) - but to no avail (re-install,reboot,reBSOD).

Now I've noticed that when I went into Windows recovery console (removed old HDD again and used windows setup disk on the SSD failed setup) it identified the SSD as drive D (i.e. it found my windows on D:\WINDOWS). As I was expecting it to be on C: (which was taken up by another SATA II drive) I decided to unplug all drives except the SSD and am running the windows setup again...

I think that there should be an option when to install before you actually install and partition your drive. If you read on the scrolling text as the drivers are loading from the XP disc, it'll ask you if you need to install a SATA/RAID driver and to press F6 if you need to to install it. That's where you install the driver. You'd need the driver on a USB flash drive or do it old school with a floppy drive

Quote Originally Posted by spearMan View Post
    I think that there should be an option when to install before you actually install and partition your drive. If you read on the scrolling text as the drivers are loading from the XP disc, it'll ask you if you need to install a SATA/RAID driver and to press F6 if you need to to install it. That's where you install the driver. You'd need the driver on a USB flash drive or do it old school with a floppy drive
    Thank you for your reply, but in my first post I said...

I used nlite to put the SCSI drivers on the windows install disk
    So the drivers issue was tackled already... in fact windows setup is recognsing the disk and allowing me to create a partition on, and copy setup files to, this disk.

No improvement yet.