Thread: imac is not shutting down

imac is not shutting down

I have recently switched to mac from Windows and the problem that I am facing here is that I am not able to shut it down, I have tried closing everything but then there is a grey screen with a circular circle that keeps revolving. I have found that there is no such issue after Mac installs updates and then asks for reboot, here I am not sure but then it appears as if Mac uses a different for shutdown after installing an update, I am not able to track out the cause of this, is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about it??

Re: imac is not shutting down

I have recently switched to mac from Windows and the problem that I am facing here is that I am not able to shut it down, I have tried closing everything but then there is a grey screen with a circular circle that keeps revolving. I have found that there is no such issue after Mac installs updates and then asks for reboot, here I am not sure but then it appears as if Mac uses a different for shutdown after installing an update, I am not able to track out the cause of this, is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about it??
    Before I suggest you something about the same, just let me know the following things:
    1. Model of the mac
    2. Year I which you had bought it
    3. Version of OS X that you are currently running

Just answer these so that I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing and will try to help you out with it.

Here is your required information:
    • Mac OS X 10.7.3
    • IMac Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core 17
    • Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz RAM

Is there any workaround that I can try out???

I just wanted to know that have you tried resetting SMC if not then try out the same and see if it is helping, if not then check out the Activity Monitor which will be in Utilities and see if there is anything that might be interfering when you are trying to shut it down? Just try out these possible solutions and then post back the result that you get for the same.

I have tried resetting SMC but then it did not made any difference at all and I was getting the same response, anyways I have checked out the Activity Monitor and I have found that there are a no of application that are running, few ones are listed below:
    • Finder
    • Safarai
    • Itunes

It seems as if they are the culprit, I mean as you have said that they might be interfering when I am trying to shut it down, so is there any workaround that I will have to try out to get rid of this issue???

As far as I am aware the shutdown command basically closes all the running applications but then in your case it seems as if it is not able to terminate some ongoing processes which you have mentioned above, so here you can try manually closing all the applications that you might have came across in the Activity Monitor and then see if it is shutting down properly or not. Just check it out and then let me know what you get. I also wanted to share that if you are having any external hard drives connected then disconnect the same for that moment so as to check out if there is some issue caused by it and so.

I have already tried disconnecting the external hard drive in my case before and I don’t know how it had helped me for a while and I have checked it out by turning the system on and off as well but then after a day or two the issue remained the same and I have also tried shutting down the running applications that I had found in the Activity Monitor but then closing them does not seems to be making any difference, I am really running out of ideas now is there any other effective solution that I can try out, any further help for the same will be highly appreciated.

I am not very sure about your case but then I was having the same issue previously and after a lot of trouble soothing I was able to solve it out, in my case the cause of the issue were Files from the Norton AV which were there in the LaunchAgents & LaunchDaemons folders of the mac HD Library, so later after removing those folders the issues was solved but then make sure that you are saving them somewhere so you don’t have any issue in finding them if they are at all required. If you are not having an NAV then you might be having different case but then if you have then you can surely try out the solution that I have mentioned above.