Thread: How to sort File Folders on Apple 20" iMac like windows

How to sort File Folders on Apple 20" iMac like windows

I have recently switched to 20" iMac desktop and I was using Windows previously so mac os x is completely new for me, I am not able to understand the file structure as it is less organized as compared to that of Windows and I can say that it is the only thing that I am not liking about the mac, I have been trying to sort my files with folders alphabetically to the top of the screen and the files below but then I am not able to do so, I used to organize my archive in a directory tree in windows 7 as I am in to photography, I am having a of files that are having only one number different , so is there anyone who can help me out???

Re: How to sort File Folders on Apple 20" iMac like windows

I have recently switched to 20" iMac desktop and I was using Windows previously so mac os x is completely new for me, I am not able to understand the file structure as it is less organized as compared to that of Windows and I can say that it is the only thing that I am not liking about the mac, I have been trying to sort my files with folders alphabetically to the top of the screen and the files below but then I am not able to do so, I used to organize my archive in a directory tree in windows 7 as I am in to photography, I am having a of files that are having only one number different , so is there anyone who can help me out???
    I am not very sure if you will be able to fix out the Finder but then if you want then you can switch to an alternate file manager, it is same like that of in Windows, you can also use PathFinder, I have been using the same and it is a great Finder replacement it has all the features that you might be looking for , using it you can just group folders together first and then files, it is also having a huge array of extra capabilities, you can get the PathFinder from cocoatech and it is not free you will have to spend $34.00 for the same but then it is just worth, it is just an essential piece of Mac software, just check it out and I am quite sure that you will like it.

I have been using the same and I completely agree to the above user that it is a essential piece of Mac software and it is so easy to use as well, in order to share more about the same then in a finder window in the second "detail" view you will have to just slide to the right and when you come across the "type" header you just have to click on the same so as to sort by type, it is actually by default where the folders are shown first and then you can expand them to check out the contents, which will be further displayed in the right hand pane and I personally think that it is the best thing, I had used windows and it wasn’t there, so you can say that it is a plus feature.

I don’t think that you will have to use some apps for the same I mean that you can very well sort File Folders in mac os x, here the files are alphabetized backwards, I mean to say from the end of the alphabet to the start, so if you want to see the folder icons then you can just go back to the applications up top and folders which will be at the bottom, no matter if you are sorting by Kind as well, I have not came across such complaints from the Mac users, I really think that this is the thing that illustrates Mac's home-user genetics, I think that this will be the better solution for you but then if anyone has any other workaround then even I will like to know the same.

I am using mac from long time and I am really a happy user of the same, even I will suggest you to use PathFinder, it will really help you out in sorting File Folders without much issues, discarding mac just because of the Finder does not seems to be a better idea, as far as the pc is concerned I have used windows for a while but then I did not liked the Explorer, and later I had started using a file manager called 2xExplorer and I had used the same for a long time until I switched to mac, just check out the PathFinder and I am sure that you will like it, if you have any further issues then you can just feel free to ask about the same.

Yes you can very well try out the Path Finder but then id you want then you can later try out Leopard, I have heard that there are some great apps to come, i suspect the following ones:
    • Path Finder
    • Macaroni
    • Quicksilver

I think that they will just become redundant if they are incorporated into OS X.

I was having the same issues when I had switched to mac from windows but then later i found the best solution for the same, if you want then you can follow it as well:
    • First open the directory that you are willing to sort
    • Now just right click in the Finder window and then click on "show view options."
    • When you are done with the same then Select Arrange by: Kind followed by Sort by: Name
    • After this at the top the folders will appear together and they will be arranged alphabetically where as the files will be arranged alphabetically below as well.
    • I think that this workaround really help to achieve the rule to all directories.
    just try it out and if you have any further issues with it then you can ask us about it.

I have tried following the same as I was suggested to do in some other forum but then the issue that I was facing here was that the folders used to appear at the top most of the times, the files get sorted properly below but then I don’t like the display thing, I mean that no matter if I am listing them alphabetically the folders are always coming first, anyways I have heard about TotalFinder and I seems to be good but then I have not yet trued it out, is there anyone who has used the same and can share his experience with it???