Thread: Some keys like U, J, M are not working in Mac

Some keys like U, J, M are not working in Mac

How to fix keyboard problem in mac. The keys which are not working are u, j, and m. When I press them random characters appears and something there is no response on the screen. If the keyboard is not functioning well then all keys must face issue. The issue lies with only 3 keys and some at the left side. I had rebooted the system a number of time but still the issue is on the system. What can I do to get rid of this issue entirely. Thanks.

Re: Some keys like U, J, M are not working in Mac

Do yo use a wifi keyboard. If yes then ensure that it is charged fully and turned on. It is recommended that you must turn on the keyboard at the computer startup. For easy fix you can try to reconnect the keyboard a number of time to ensure that the keyboard is detected properly. If it is a usb keyboard then change the port and attach it to any other working usb port. If possible try to check the keyboard on any other system. If the problem appears then the keys are stucked or they are malfunctioning. If not then the issue lies with mac system. Another thing you can do is login with a different account.

Go o System preferences and open Universal Access preferences. In that look for mouse tab. Just ensure that the mouse keys are set to off. If they are on then the keyboard might not function well. Disabling it will restore your normal keyboard functionality.

It can be a language issue also. I am not sure about the steps but go and check what is your input language. If it is changed then you can face the keyboard issue. If not then the issue can be different. Is there any third part tool in your system installed recently for language change. Disable it and then try back. Check the keyboard settings in your system properly. As there are no major changes available in mac related to keyboard configuration, I think this is a software issue.

Try another usb keyboard. Connect it to your system and check it whether the issue is there or gone. If it is then the issue lies with operating system. There are some changes done to language settings.

Below are some basic stuff you can try. Go in system preferences. Then look for view > speech. Turn off the text to speech. Is there any key combination stored in that. If yes then disabled that also. Also check that there aren't any function key set on. You can find the language stuff in keyboard viewer. You can see what is the source of input tab. If that is changed then you will need to restore it. It shows the language option by flag icon.