Thread: Junk file consume 50% of my disk space in Mac Mini

Junk file consume 50% of my disk space in Mac Mini

There are lots of junk file in my mac system. I had seen that it consumes around 50% of my disk. I am not able to understand from where does all this things appear. The size keep on increasing. I have a lots of songs, photos and office file in it. I had scheduled a automatic backup also from Time Machine. Is that causing the slow process. I do not want to add more drive in the system as I cannot afford it. I am planing to run some clean up process. Can anyone put highlight how does all those junk file appears. Thanks in advance.

Re: Junk file consume 50% of my disk space in Mac Mini

I had not find such issue in my mac system. I think there are some applications in your system which is causing the issue. Yes you can run any cleaner tool for this purpose. Delete your old backup files and run the fresh one.

Those can be files created by application like adobe photoshop or office. Office creates a number of temp files in mac systems. But the problem you mentioned is different. Junk files does not accumulate in such a large quantity. It is possible that there are that much amount of data in your system. It can be the backup file of your entire system. You can delete that or just re-install mac if needed. Re-installation will fix various issues. You can restore your backup later on. Is there an third party service in your system which creates backup of your data. It must be creating a new backup every time, instead of deleting the old one. Because of which you are not able to get ample of free space in your system.

Adobe CS is responsible for this. I had this in my system and the same things happen. After a number of days the file are accumulated in the disc. You can delete them manually this is not a serious issue.

CleanMyMac is a tool that can be used for this purpose. It can be used to get rid of useless files from your system. CleanMyMac is a really useful tool that will never fail on a Mac OS X. His work is very simple: find and delete unnecessary files. Even if the operating system from Apple is very stable, it is also a maintenance and cleaning from time to time. This software can help with these tasks. There is also a uninstaller that completely removes unnecessary applications to get better benefits and more space in the hard disk.

Why don't you try manually to find which files are causing this much disk usage. You can begin with deleting chat logs of iChat. To find the location you can see the folder in preferences. Another thing you can try is remove the backup files entirely and then see what difference appears in the directory.

Do you download your mails on your system. Is there any email client in your system. If yes then I will recommend you to delete your inbox entirely and get rid of the mails you have. Those are causing high disk space in your system. One more thing you can do is remove the duplicate files of iTunes. You can find that in File > Display Duplicates. Delete all those which are duplicates.

Quote Originally Posted by Eas!war View Post
    There are lots of junk file in my mac system. I had seen that it consumes around 50% of my disk. I am not able to understand from where does all this things appear. The size keep on increasing. I have a lots of songs, photos and office file in it. I had scheduled a automatic backup also from Time Machine. Is that causing the slow process. I do not want to add more drive in the system as I cannot afford it. I am planing to run some clean up process. Can anyone put highlight how does all those junk file appears. Thanks in advance.
    I tried a couple of products like Disk Analyzer Pro, Stellar Speed Up Mac, Clean My Mac to remove junk from my mac. The latter two showed no hope as they were highly complicated. The former one worked luckily.