Thread: getting Missing file (nvrd32.sys), while reinstalling windows XP SP3

getting Missing file (nvrd32.sys), while reinstalling windows XP SP3

as I was with my dell Inspiron Mini 9 which had some issues with the operating system, made a reinstall of Win XP SP3 . I have completed the installation process very accurately but after first restart I received the error message "Couldn't find file nvrd32.sys" . I have copied the Win XP installation disc onto a USB key because there was no drive in the system and then made the installation from there . so what should i do to get rid of this . please assist me, in this case.

Re: getting Missing file (nvrd32.sys), while reinstalling windows XP SP3

I was also having same issues and to solve them you will need an external cd/dvd rom drive. And then turn on your netbook and you need to plug in the external cd/dvd rom drive. Afterwards make sure your computer to see if your system recognized it. You then to reboot your system. Hit F2 to go to setup. Move to the 'Boot' alternatives. After that you require to hit F5 to place cd/dvd/cdr-w option on the very top. This prioritizes boot alternative. Press F10. And Yes. Finally have a reboot of your system with the restore disc in the dvd drive. And your issue should be solved.

Same issue in my case. and it has not solved up till now. I have attempted this thing by myself by trying to make use of restore disc and failed with "The file nvrd32.sys could not be found." I made some hard searches regarding this case and nvrd32.sys issue appears unique to Dell computers but not found solution yet.

I have found this on net and have made use of WinPE to boot the machine up and the file has actually been copied successfully, and upon reboot it is not showing what it used to say previously. I think after I made some installation of additional RAID/SATA drivers and as we are making use of nVidia hardware the issue was solved.

I need to say something regarding your issue and as you are getting the Nvrd32.sys file missing , here is the description.
    Productname: NVIDIA nForce(TM) RAID Driver
    Description: NVIDIA® nForce(TM) RAID Driver
    organisation: NVIDIA Corporation

and to tell regarding this file, it is a chipset driver it requires to be installed by means of F6 Floppy during initial install.

I don’t agree with the previous post but his description part regarding the file may be correct. As the file is previously on the CD as well as it is getting copied to the HDD as part of the provisioning script. It will work fine if you try to install directly from the CD, without making use of provisioning. though the SP2 CD works both ways, provisioning along with directly from the CD.

You might be saying it correctly but I don’t know the exact process of installing without making use of provisioning? moreover what exactly is provisioning? are we able to do as I only know the method of installing operating system in the traditional method. Is the process different from the actual process.

I will provide some information by which you will be able to get a clear view.
    So XP can be installed from "WIN9X" MSDOS, as per my suggestion the best way is to format bootable WIN9X DOS Flash key and then copy the entire for XP to the disk. followed by Boot along with format the hard drive Fat32.to do this there is a strong requirement of FDISK and Format and so on. There is a patch to win9x Fdisk for drives which is bigger compared to the 64 gigs. You will require Fdisk and Format as well as Himem.sys and emm386.exe You need to make a bootable flash key by means of Fdisk furthermore format with config.sys having Device=Himem.sys.

After you have formatted C: drive. You need to xcopy the xp cd contents onto the hard drive. And after this process you have a bootable C. check that Himem.sys gets loaded for the config.sys on the C: drive . you need to pay attention in this stage as this is a crucial stage in your issue. Boot C: with Win9X dos afterwards. You need to Run Smartdrv.exe and smartdrv.exe /X. afterwards, you require to goto C: under I386 and run WINNT.EXE /S:C:\I386 /T:C:\. After this it will tend to then "install" xp .

It would be a good idea to have copied the C:\DELL and C:\DRIVERS directories onto the flash drive and you require the software stored in those directories and When you have come across the fully installed XP, you are able to remove the WIN9X dos by converting c: to NTFS with CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS. for the time of the initial black screen of Windows is detecting hardware you will have to press F6 along with have a floppy diskette. Hope this helps .