Thread: Windows Defender unable to update virus and spyware definitions in Windows 8 CP

Windows Defender unable to update virus and spyware definitions in Windows 8 CP

I have been using Windows 8 Consumer Preview since quite a few times and did not have any major issue till I found that the Antivirus and Spyware are not really getting updated. The process of download is definitely started but it stops mid way, showing message that there’s some issue with the internet connectivity. But, the internet works fine with my browser.

Re: Windows Defender unable to update virus and spyware definitions in Windows 8 CP

I was undergoing the same issue, I realized CCEnhancer is the reason for that. The following is the solution:

Go to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools" and open up "Services."

If it dont work, Do it by a new way:

• Press "Windows + C" on the keyboard to open "Charms."
      • Click "Search."
      • Click "Settings" from the right pane and type "services" in the search box.
      • Open "View local services" from the left pane.
    • Stop "Windows Defender Service."
    • Go to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender."
    • Change the folder name from "Windows Defender" to "Windows Defender_" just in case.
    • Start "Windows Defender Service."

Re: Windows Defender unable to update virus and spyware definitions in Windows 8 CP

Now that was a relief. I performed the operation suggested by you and the issue is sorted out. But I happened to do it thrice, ever since I read it and now I have 3 ‘Windows Defender ‘ folders. I am unable to delete them as it’s showing a privilege error. I don’t mind renaming the folder every time but being unable to delete those folders are a bit annoying.

First thing first, you don’t have to rename it every time. Once should be enough. And as far as the privilege error is concerned, Use unlocker to unlock the locked folders.