Thread: How to add custom buttons to Logon screen in windows 7

How to add custom buttons to Logon screen in windows 7

Hello friends, recently bought a new customized desktop with windows 7 32bit installed in it. I am really enjoying it and I must also say that windows 7 is truly amazing especially its features.

Now I have planned to do some sort of modification with the system hardware and also software. But the most important and necessary thing right now for me is to add a custom button to the logon screen in windows 7. I am trying out my best to get it placed correctly but unable to do so. Is there anyone who knows how exactly we can have a custom button on the logon screen?

Re: How to add custom buttons to Logon screen in windows 7

I am running a small office and I have overall 10 customized desktops running on windows 7. I guess recently last week our employee tried out the same thing, I am not sure with this but they told me that they somehow managed to add the button to the logon screen.

They actually did it by using the Accessibility icon on the logon screen and then replacing it with the executable that we exactly need to run. But then there was an issue for us, actually we have some of the user who needs the accessibility features and therefore doing this somehow didn’t work for us.

First of all let me tell you that add a custom button to the windows 7 is surely possible but on the other hand it’s also quite difficult to do so depending upon your requirements.

They actually did it by using the Accessibility icon on the logon screen and then replacing it with the executable that we exactly need to run. But then there was an issue for us, actually we have some of the user who needs the accessibility features and therefore doing this somehow didn’t work for us.
    It seems like you do not need any extra button instead you need to replace the accessibility icon with an intermediate executable. There could be probably two options for the executable on widows.

• One could be a link or a button in order to start up the standard Accessibility features
    • And a link or a button in order to start the script or program

• One could be a link or a button in order to start up the standard Accessibility features
    • And a link or a button in order to start the script or program
    Hey that’s a good suggestion; I do really appreciate your efforts you put in my problems. Whatever you mentioned above could suit our requirement perfectly without any doubt, the executable with two unique and different option can work out. I am surely going to try out your suggestion and those options and check out whether things go well or not in my case. Will definitely let you know.

I am sure that by doing this way I am going to get what exactly I want and also I can save the accessibility features.

I too had the same requirement, always wanted to add up a custom button to the logon screen. I seriously had a hard time and also worked a lot with it, ultimately came up with the script built in order to bring up the window.

But whenever I replace the Utilman.exe with the custom executable which I am having and when I rename this original Utilman.exe to Utilmanmod.exe, clicking on the Utilmanmod.exe however opens up the Utilman.exe. I mean to say that instead of ease of access it opens the Utilman.exe custom script which I created by myself. I still need to work a lot on Utilman.exe thing so that whenever I click on the utilmanmod.exe it could somehow open the ease of access.

That’s not a big issue; this thing usually does happen when the explorer or the cmd.exe starts the Utilmanmod.exe directly. Also the reason could be due to the custom utilmod.exe passing the command to the explorer or cmd. But let me tell you one thing, this surely does not happens when the parent process is the explorer or cmd.

If you notice you can see Utilmanmod.exe running only if your custom utilman.exe starts up Utilmanmod.exe directly without and dependency.

Hello friends, even I would like to share something with you all related to this issue. You know I do not have any compilators for the trial and error purpose, but I somehow managed to try with some trainer makers and also autorun menu makers and make the executable start the ultimanmmod.exe.

But other than this the only issue I am currently having is that the utilmanmod.exe not coming with a text at all but that not a big deal you can however fix it. You need to go to the location C:\windows\system32\en-US and then make the copy of the utilman.exe.mui and then rename it with utilmanmod.exe.mui.

Help me out please. Recently I have customized the logon screen of my windows 7 system after when was told that I could easily do certain modification and customization with it. But now after I did this modification I noticed that my customized logon screen background is not at all working. I am running a window 7 64 bit OS on my machine. Consulted almost every person and most of them gave me the suggestion to have some editing work in the registry but then I am not sure what editing or changes should I exactly do with the registry. Please let me how can I fix this issue soon as possible.

Ok so are you sure that you were supposed to make changes in the registry only? If it’s so then I guess they must have suggested you to check out or delete any corrupted .jpg background image file.

Anyways first better you make sure that your backgroundDefault.jpg image is exactly situated at this location:
    C:\Windows\System32\oobe\INFO\BACKGROUNDS

Once you see the file in the mentioned location then you might surely also has the entry in the registry too:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background]
    "OEMBackground"=dword:00000001

If not then the issue is surely with the image not getting registered in registry, I guess you can manually enter the file or image name.

Other than the registry if asked me I have bit doubt on some certain two to three things. You don’t you try out the tricks I mention below:

• First of all disable UAC temporarily, then make sure to note the differences if any
    • Other than this you can also check out the size of your backgroundDefault.jpg which according to me should not exceed more than 256 kb
    • Sometime the backgroundDefault image size does create some issue. Actually the thing is that if it exceeds then probably it might won’t be changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveyboo View Post
    I too had the same requirement, always wanted to add up a custom button to the logon screen. I seriously had a hard time and also worked a lot with it, ultimately came up with the script built in order to bring up the window.

But whenever I replace the Utilman.exe with the custom executable which I am having and when I rename this original Utilman.exe to Utilmanmod.exe, clicking on the Utilmanmod.exe however opens up the Utilman.exe. I mean to say that instead of ease of access it opens the Utilman.exe custom script which I created by myself. I still need to work a lot on Utilman.exe thing so that whenever I click on the utilmanmod.exe it could somehow open the ease of access.
    Hi,
    I know that this post is old but I still hope fore some help. Have you got this working and if so, how? I can't get the renamed (original) Utilman to start however I try. Tried from the OS and from the logon UI, from cmd and explorer but however I try I'm only able to start the cmd-file that I renamed to Utilman. From that I cant start the original one.

Hope that you ore someone else can be kind and help me out how I make this work.

Quote Originally Posted by TWP111 View Post
    Hi,
    I know that this post is old but I still hope fore some help. Have you got this working and if so, how? I can't get the renamed (original) Utilman to start however I try. Tried from the OS and from the logon UI, from cmd and explorer but however I try I'm only able to start the cmd-file that I renamed to Utilman. From that I cant start the original one.

Hope that you ore someone else can be kind and help me out how I make this work.
    Have also tried to make an .exe with autoIt script with a a menu with to buttons. One for an installed application and one for the Original Utilman.exe renamed to UtilmanOrg.exe. But still, when I start my autoIt-app from login UI and try to start UtilmanOrg.exe it wont start. When I do the same i OS a second instance of my autoIt-app (Utilman.exe).

Need help how to start UtilmanOrg.exe.