Thread: How to remove Windows 8 Consumer Preview

How to remove Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Just for curiosity I have installed the Windows 8 Consumer Preview in my computer. Now I didn’t really like it much. So I need to get rid of this from computer and go back to the previous version. How can I do this?

Re: How to remove Windows 8 Consumer Preview

I don’t think that there is any possible way to directly get back to the previous version of Windows 8. I am assuming that you want to downgrade back to the Windows 8 developer preview. There is no direct way. You will have to reinstall it from the recovery or installation media. Only the custom installation way is possible.

You have Windows 8 Consumer Preview installed on your system and not on a virtual system, but you do not like the interface, the drivers do not do well, in that case somehow you want to uninstall the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Unfortunately it is not possible to downgrade . If you have the possibility you can do a full backup data and re-install the Windows 7 from the scratch as new installation.

If you have installed the Windows 8 Consumer preview on your system, then you have to remove boot loader first. To do this, you need the program EasyBCD necessary, download and install this program. When the program is installed you should run as administrator. Click on "Edit Boot Menu" on the side. Then click on "Windows 8 Consumer Preview" and press "Delete". It will be then asked which version of Windows start as default; in most cases you can here "Windows 7" box, and then click on "Save Settings".

On the side there is still an option "BCD Backup / Repair", click it and select "Re-create/repair boot files", click again on "Perform Action" to exit.

Normally Windows 8 bootloader is removed now and computer restarts.

I didn’t install the Windows 8 Consumer preview in VirtualBox. I know that there it works fine and you cannot do lot of testing with other hardware peripherals and drivers. For hard testing and for my research I have installed it as dual boot with other windows OS. So how I can remove it? Should I need to install everything from the scratch?

If you have installed the Windows 8 as dual boot, then you can remove it by deleting the entire volume. To do this open to start "Disk partition and format", this can be found in some tools of the Control Panel or via start>searching. Select Windows 8 partition and right click on it, click "Delete Volume" and press "yes" to continue. Then there will be a public space appears. There you need to select the Windows partition, usually the C drive and click "Extend Volume. Click again on" Next "and confirm that you have all empty space to add. Finally press" Finish” to remove Windows 8 to complete.

In my opinion I can only tell you that you are out of luck and there is no work around for you. If there is a recovery discs or an image of your system, then there will be a possibility but I don’t think that windows 8 preview can be downgraded to Windows 7. Clean installation is the only way out. You can search for a restore point but I don’t think that it will work on you.

I think that which you are asking can be done with simple 4 steps:
    • Backup files from Windows 8 (on USB stick / external HDD)
    • Shutdown Windows 8
    • Put the other Windows installation CD and load it
    • Follow the installation instruction. Make sure to format the drive (partition) where you can installed the Windows 8