Thread: Windows cannot access the specified device path or file

sad Windows cannot access the specified device path or file

Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have the appropiate permission to access the item. Please contact your system administrator.

Hey community! I'm new so I'd like to say hello. Secondly, I keep getting this error on almost all .exe programs. I don't know how it happened, and I've tried fixing it through other suggestions for 2 weeks now, to no avail. When it started off like 6 months ago, it never happened much, but recently it started happening on almost all programs that I download.

One trend I am noticing is that programs properly digitally signed and commonly used throughout the public, such as utorrent, daemon tools, jdownloader, windows-related things, etc tend to work without a problem. It's the programs that aren't and the ones that aren't commonly used like Nexus Mod Manager (a skyrim mod manager), etc. don't work. If this paragraph made no sense to you, please ignore it as I really suck at explaining things.

I've also figured out it's not an actual permission issue, as if I run it in safe mode and safe mode w/ networking, it works (which is my temporary fix). However, I wanted to play and install a game but it won't work. I tried to do it on safe mode but the game needs some sort of graphic card to work, and in safe mode my nVidia GeForce 9200 doesn't work.

I have windows 7 32 bit and if you need any other information please ask. I'm obviously administrator, and this problem occurs on every account. I have avast! and Comodo Internet security (both at the latest version). I don't think it has anything to do with Comodo because when I disable that one the problem still persists, but I don't know how to close avast! as there is no exit button when I rightclick on it on the taskbar. I've tried disabling all the avast! shields but the problem still occured, so I don't really know if it is antivirus related. I think it might be because the programs that work are all trusted and commonly used programs. Maybe, but I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for reading my wall of text and if you guys can fix it I will worship you forever.

Re: Windows cannot access the specified device path or file

As per your problem mentioned it shows that you are not able to install and play game due to permission. If you are logged in admin account then this error does not appears. But still if you face the same error in admin account then that means there is a virus in your system who has changed your file permission. This is done by virus to avoid running of removal tools or any cleanup utility. Try to scan your system is safe mode.

Scan it in safe mode? Okay I'll try that with my normal antivirus. Or should I use a special antivirus?

Scan it in safe mode? Okay I'll try that with my normal antivirus. Or should I use a special antivirus?
    Which antivirus are you having?? if you want then you can try to use Malwarebytes but then first use the same in normal mode and then got for the safe mode if it does not works.

I'm using avast!. I'll try malwarebytes monday.