Thread: Is it possible to install hard drive with Windows 7 to the Windows XP machine?

Is it possible to install hard drive with Windows 7 to the Windows XP machine?

so here is what I need . I have the hard disk that have windows 7 pre installed on it and I want to install it on my PC which already running with the windows XP because when I did that I was not able to boot my PC . can anyone here help me on this issue .

re: Is it possible to install hard drive with Windows 7 to the Windows XP machine?

I guess you can’t able boot in any ways the fact that drivers that was installed on the windows 7 hard disk is rarely work on another computer which is not exact same kind. All the computer has its own Product Key . so what you are looking here , I am afraid to say is impossible.

re: Is it possible to install hard drive with Windows 7 to the Windows XP machine?

You can make it work or not that depend on the computer that was using that hard drive and the computer that you need it to be installed they should have the same configuration and device , that is for the reason that the Device Drivers is already been installed on the hard drive and as mention above the uniqueness of the production as be a barrier some time so I suggest you to make a clean install that would be the best.

The fact that windows installed the 'generic' drivers for most devices and after that the actual drivers l. although some of this generic driver mat not work on the on the computer that well , if you able boot the machine there will be no assurance that might be working . it will be slow and in some case some driver might not be working , but of if you ale to load the require driver you can get it back to normal . but keep in mind that few product key might be tied to system, BIOS signature or system checksum Some you can just re-register, and some may be rejected.

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate the thing is that I have some important data on that hard disk and need to copy it on my other hard drive .; I really can afford to lose that data so I need to copy the date without installing the hard drive can anyone here help me on this

Well I suggest that you do the image back up or copy the data on another disk which should equal or greater size. And use that disk for all of your work . there is a tool named Macrium Reflex for the image/clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
    so here is what I need . I have the hard disk that have windows 7 pre installed on it and I want to install it on my PC which already running with the windows XP because when I did that I was not able to boot my PC . can anyone here help me on this issue .

Quote Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
    Thanks for the reply I really appreciate the thing is that I have some important data on that hard disk and need to copy it on my other hard drive .; I really can afford to lose that data so I need to copy the date without installing the hard drive can anyone here help me on this
    Hey I don’t understand what exactly are you asking here are you look here do you want to create the back of the win7 hdd. Can you be more specific that what exactly are you trying to achieve here

What I was looking here is that remove the hard disk form the one computer that I am using which is really slow and place it on the other computer that is faster than my other computer for doing something important . I am using Windows 7 and the another computer working windows XP. So how can I do that is there any precise technique to do that I like to know that

Well I like to suggest you to change the hard drive method is not as simple as it would looks .i might never do it until I was ready to reinstall the drive. I might turn into totally unusable on either system. And if you have the product key why don't you just install windows 7 on the machine that runs faster and register it for that machine. You might have to contact the M.S and give details. Or I suggest remove an OS disk from the PC and make it the primary disk in other PC and booting trough it or remove the OS Disk from one PC and putting it into other PC, however NOT booting it although being can read it