Thread: With slackware Linux cannot access NTFS partition as user

With slackware Linux cannot access NTFS partition as user

This is the first time I am using a Linux distribution on my computer. Now I have got a slackware installed and running. I had installed WICD, broadcom firmware and flash 11 but I cannot access the NTFS partition where I have backed up all my data when logged in as a user. Whenever I try to login for root access, I am getting some kind of strange error. Can anyone help me out?

Re: With slackware Linux cannot access NTFS partition as user

The error might be indicating that you have not provided the proper mount parameters. Actually the parameters are dependent on driver vendor. So for that you should take a look into the documentation. I had the same kind of issue before when I was on (commercial) Paragon NTFS driver.

During the process of slackware installation, you will get an option to mount the ntfs partition. If you didn’t get that option, then don’t worry. You will get it any time. I do that actually. I re-name the partition to the windows version using /windowsxp/ and it works.

Did you try the following commands:
    Code:
    edit /etc/fstab

/dev/<partition> /mount/point ntfs-3g auto,users,ro 0 0
    If you are not aware about what <partition> or /mount/point is, you need to run mount as root and it will tell you what about this. For this, the ntfs-3g needs to be installed before.

My friend told me that the ntfs-3g was first included in Slackware v12.1. So it is now the part of 12.2. What version of Slackware you have installed. Under v12.0, you won’t get ntfs-3g. You have to upgrade to the latest version to make it available.

You said that you cannot access the NTFS partition as user. The problem is with your user account. It does not have privileges to access that partition. Check that whether the user is added to the plugdev group log or not. You can check this in terminal. Open the terminal Windows and make it root directory. Now change it to /etc directory and use nano to modify the group file. At the bottom, you can see plugdev group. You need to add the username to that group as shows below.
    Code:
    plugdev;x:83:username
    Save and exit nano. Restart the system or simply, logout/login.

The thing is the Linux kernel is cannot write to NTFS volumes. The kernel can only able to mount it as in read-only mode. Don’t worry about that and you didn’t do anything wrong here. It is actually the limitation of kernel. If you are looking forward to get the read/write access to NTFS, try looking at the NTFS-3G. By default it may not be installed on your Linux. You can install it at anytime using the package previously available inside the slackware.