Thread: Windows 7 doesn't detect HDD after Linux Mint 12 dual boot

Windows 7 doesn't detect HDD after Linux Mint 12 dual boot

I have made a dual with Linux Mint 12 alongside window 7. After the setup and booting from it, I noticed that wireless not working in Mint. So I decided to boot on Windows 7 but it didn’t load at all. First I got a boot menu and there I select Windows 7 but it shows only "Windows is starting" for 2 seconds and then BLUE SCREEN. I tried to repair windows but it didn’t help. So erased all Linux Mint partitions using gparted and then created a new NFTS partition to install Windows 7 again.

Now the Windows 7 installer loaded but then it comes a time to select HDD to install. Unluckily, the Windows was empty and saying no HDDs found. It is really annoying now?

Re: Windows 7 doesn't detect HDD after Linux Mint 12 dual boot

I don’t know why the Windows installer does not able to recognize the HDD. Can you see the HDD in the BIOS settings? If so, then the Windows installer should detect the HDD. I think you have not created the partition yet. So the list shows you as empty. See for an option to create partition on HDD, and then only you can move on with the Windows installation.

If it isn’t problem, the try boot to a LiveCD and see whether HDD can be detected or not.

You mean that you want to install Windows 7 basically from the Scratch. Make sure that there is no hardware related problem with HDD, connector or power supply etc. The fact is, it is completely the Windows problem. You have to load a driver during install. To do this, you can get help from some installation guide. If it is hardware problem, try re-plugging the HDD connectors.

Usually the Windows installer shows this kind of problem when installing with with Grub in the MBR. The only solution for this is to clear the MBR and partition table. To do this first of all you need to get the Mint Live CD and run the following command by booting from it:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    In the above command sda is the HDD where you are installing Windows. Now the HDD is empty. Now you can easily start everything from the scratch.

In my opinion the problem is lies inside the Windows and gparted to the partitioning. I also had the same kind of problem with same symptoms. I know that the only solution is to install from the scratch and after that you can partition using Windows Tool and then install Linux Mint once again.

You have dual booted your system and now what you have to do is to mark Active and post back a picture of partitioning by the use of Partition Wizard bootable CD. After this, click on the # to make it highlighted. Go to the Disk tab and choose Rebuild MBR, Apply, reboot. This time it will run the Repairs. One thing you should always aware that GRUB on the HD can corrupt Windows 7. It is always best to install or dual boot the Linux on separate HD

I found what the problem us. You have previously installed the Mint 12, so during the installation partition is written with another signature and now it is changed due to formatting. So you need to see which signature is mounted in Mint 12. Make a correction on disk signature (GUID) for that partition/drive.
    It looks like the Mint 12 installation is reassigning new signature to the partition or disk when booting/mounting. On the other way Windows is also reassigning same partition/drive during the same time.

I think that you have to remove the shared partition from /etc/fstab. Once removed, you can then add it by yourself whenever you want or simply leave it as it is. I had the problem with Linux when two physical partitions mounted on the same directory. The problem was the GUID can get copied during the full partition backup.