Thread: Wifi connection using Knoppix Linux Live CD

Wifi connection using Knoppix Linux Live CD

I has used the Linux Distribution before but this is the first time I am using the knoppix 6.2 using Live CD. The system boots the CD perfectly and I can get to the deskptop. The only problem is I cannot connect to the internet over wifi connection. The wifi gets connected and the status shows that it is receiving ip address etc. properly. The dhcp enabled but there no means the internet connection working. What should I do?

Re: Wifi connection using Knoppix Linux Live CD

If you type ifconfig as root, do you leave the interface with an ip?

If so, you will have to assign it. According comment, I think you have dhcp enabled. Try the command
    Code:
     interface dhclient
    Where is the wifi card interface (eth0, eth1, wlan0 ...). If this does not apply, to assign the static IP mode, with IP interface mask ifconfig netmask up and then the route, with route add default gw ip_del_AP.

For the command is iwconfig wifi instead of ifconfig. Do as root: iwup wlan0 or ath0 iwup. Do not know if knoppix has knemo program, which makes the automatic configuration. If it does not try to knemo kismet.

If you prefer to enter an IP address manually, open the Knoppix menu Network / Internet - configure network interface card. Choose the name of wireless network card and click within the next dialog box, click Yes. Then, a configuration wizard will appear to the network address. In the first window, enter the new IP. Make sure that the address is not already taken. After you click OK, enter the network mask. In general, you can accept the default 255.255.255.0. Also, the next dialog you just confirm with Ok. The default gateway, you eventually have to enter the IP address of your router that connects to the Internet.

In Knoppix 6 so far I could always use the Network Manager applet.

Is that not in your notebook?

Have you turned off before trying to connect to the wireless network to the wired network?

Network Manager is uninstalled?

I tested again the wicd-client. After clicking the "Preferences" will see a "Settings" window with three tabs. On the "External Programs" I chose to see "DHCP client" instead of "Automatic", which is recommended, the dhclient point. Ever since I can connect to my wireless network and come, as you can see on the Internet.

Knoppix also gives the possibility to save your configuration to allow the next boot to restore your personal settings. Try with the ndiswrapper driver. If it does not make it work, find Linux driver for your wireless adapter. In (E) SSID give the name of your wireless network
    • Mode: Managed (= default) is correctly
    • WEP KEY: If you have a wireless network that is secured with WEP, give them the key here, otherwise leave blank
    • WPA Shared Key: WPA shared key.
    • The channel should match the settings in the FritzBox.