Thread: I want to make my computer an ftp server on SuSE Linux

I want to make my computer an ftp server on SuSE Linux

I am a newbie and I was making use of windows XP but , I am interested in making my computer an ftp server(small scale) , and while typing a service vsftpd start.it provides me an error message which is similar to this one.
    Starting vsftpd startproc: exit status of parent of /usr/sbin/vsftpd: 1
    Failed
    Can you give me some reason for the same as why it is not enabling me to do the same.

Re: I want to make my computer an ftp server on SuSE Linux

As I think that this thread is relating to my query, I installed SLES (SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10) at present with Service Pack 3 and I resolved the ftp configuration. And to add further to my query root account is not able to access to ftp. Can you guys help me in the situation where how to allow root account ftp to server?

I will provide some basic steps which will help you to solve your issue.
    1. You need to make an Installation
    2. You need to Configure
    3. You also need to Adjust SUSE Firewall
    4. And then finally you need to make some Testing

Guys I am only knowing the testing process which will help yoo in final stage. As my friend suggested this step but however , I am not confirmed with previous steps.
    So all I had done was Restarted the SuSeFirewall as well as vsftp with the following commands

# rcnetwork restart
    # rcxinetd restart

make use of your preferred FTP client software so that you are able to connect to your Server IP on port 21 and you need to give the following command.
    $ ftp 192.168.0.2

Thanks for those replies but can I get the remaining part of the answer as I cannot find it anywhere. As I cant find the installation part. As that is the most important part we should have. So I have also heard that we need to test the entire situation.

Friends I know something about the testing process as I have well practiced as a linux testing trainee. If you're running this you require to make an adjustment . in addition to this, In EXTERNAL ZONE you will require to let a pair of ports on TCP/UDP. In Yast , you need to visit Secruity and Users and then to the Firewall section. Further, you need to TAB or else click on "Allow Services" and afterward choose "Advanced", and append the following ports
    TCP Ports
    20 21
    And User Datagram Protocol Ports
    20 21

subsequently click OK. followed by NEXT to observe the synopsis for SuSeFirewall alterations and agree. 21 and 20 are typical ports for file transfer protocols communication plus they require to be permitted on both UDP and TCP.

I need to add useful information which will help you understand the section of Installation.
    By making use of "Yast Software Management" you need to make a search for plus install "vsftp"

So you will be with dual methods to start up VSFTP, and we can make use of xinetd services to begin it otherwise standalone server. Xinetd is added safe so let’s get that enabled if you have not done till now. To tell further guys, In YAST visit System and then in Network Services followed by Network Services(xinetd) you need to Click "Toggle (Enable)" so by this means you have completed your half process of installation.

Previously it is enabled, a catalog will be noticeable as well as you should locate near the top "vsftpd". The line will almost certainly read somewhat like the code .
    │ --- │ftp │stream│ tcp │No │root │/usr/sbin/vsftpd....
    You also need to verify that row is mentioned and afterwards "toggle Status" to switched to ON.