Thread: How to dual boot Windows 7 and Arch Linux

How to dual boot Windows 7 and Arch Linux

hi guys
    I need help in this I have the laptop with the AMD Turion DC CPU and 500GB 7200RPM HDD running with the windows 7 can anyone here can help me to dual boot Windows 7 and Arch Linux. I looked everywhere but not able to find any solution to this . please help me on this

Thanks in advance

Re: How to dual boot Windows 7 and Arch Linux

Everything depends on the order of installation, but in all cases it is best to create the partitions for the new system with Gparted for example.
    • If you have Windows disk, you follow the normal procedure for installing ArchLinux
    • If only installed ArchLinux (optionally with other distribution in parallel), and you want to install Windows, just follow the procedure again, then once Windows is installed, just take a live CD is to reinstall grub (preferably via chroot)

So after you install Windows and ArchLinux. I advise you, especially when you start, manage partitioning with Gparted. You can do it with the liveCD Gparted or Ubuntu or any other distribution that provides you the. So you really control what you do, it's graphic and it is very reliable (I do not judge the system provides the liveCD, but it can be confusing to more than one)

Hi all,

I'd like to reinstall Archlinux on my laptop since the time but I never really partition in Arch. As I do not want to delete my W7, I'd like a kind soul can guide me through the Arch Linux partition (cfdisk). I searched the Wiki AL, but nothing is explained in detail.

I am not sure how to partition with Arch. With other distro AC drives, but there I stuck. Thank you in advance to the person who will help me

I do not think it is problematic to partition your disk with gparted (livecd available) before installing?

In any case, if you're feeling comfortable , you should save your data

I know when I did this with the linux there was an option for install on a new partition. However I think that you have to create the partition on the linux installation, Not windows. If you unable to get it sort , just bakup all the windows data on the hard drive. After that install Linux, reinstall windows, as well as reinstall the backup.

Here i s how I do it divide the drive into one primary partition as well as an secondary partition with logical partitions for Linux. Now you first Install Windows 7 on the primary partition after that you installes the Arch Linux on the secondary partition. After that Install grub to the drive plus just uncomment the lines for Windows. keep in mind to leave "makeactive" commented out. That it.

I have a problem As I have created 2 partitions, C: \ and D: \, not be able to create 3 more because you can only create 4 primary in total. No Linux needs to have the boot flag on your boot partition, let alone the rest of them, or I could not be booting. With a swap partition and one for the result reached, the / boot partition is not necessary because the system boots the same (although the arch you suggested). I think better before saying how many partitions you need to create and how to see as is the structure that already armed to see if everything fits primary partitions, or you must use extended and logical.