Thread: Apple OS X Mountain Lion developer preview is focusing on Cocoa, dropping X11 and deprecates the Carbon core

Apple OS X Mountain Lion developer preview is focusing on Cocoa, dropping X11 and deprecates the Carbon core

OS X Mountain Lion supposed to developed on Cocoa and it depreciates the Carbon APIs and Drops the X11. But still users are going to get the support to running x Window System apps. In OS X Lion they dropped the support for Java Development Kit. Now company has shifted for supporting open source development of the Java support for Mac through the OpenJDK project.

Re: Apple OS X Mountain Lion developer preview is focusing on Cocoa, dropping X11 and deprecates the Carbon core

Right now Apple is trying to do something similar for X11 it was an environment which was used for host X Window System software. Under of the Mountain Lion the X11 package was offered as am optional install is currently missing. In Mountain Lion it will ask you to install the open source support particularly for X11 software. Apple going to provide support for Xquartz and the open source project which has been developed by the Apple is having X11 package.

Re: Apple OS X Mountain Lion developer preview is focusing on Cocoa, dropping X11 and deprecates the Carbon core

X11 shift will allow the apple to focus on Cocoa software and still providing an option for the Mac users who are looking to use software which are not having native support for mac. Still Mac build of the Java SE7 is still pending to release and XQuartz offers ready to use the X11 package. this particular software is made available by XQuartz and it has been newer to X11 package Apple. It has been bundled with OS X. it supposed to spinning off X11 for the open source community will be able to obtain the latest version of the software build.

OS X is typically based on NeXTSTEP operating system as well as development environment. Cocoa is an effort to transition Mac users and the developers towards modern API as well as sophisticated API after having NeXT in the end of year 1996.

Due to poor track record of delivering new software as per the plan of Apple most of the developers are hesitating to invest learing and usage of new Cocoa. They have already invested in the software dependent on the basis of the Classic Mac OS. There was set of API which has been referred as Blue Box. Carbon is worked in order to create the composite operating system which was capable of running both the system. when there was releasing of iPhone in 2007 it was utilizing Cocoa API. Hence it was making developer to focus on the single development platforms. They have not provided the support for Java ME.

People who have not used X11 are going to complain about that they are not having X11 which are not installable. People who have installed old Carbon apps are going to complain about that its totall fault of the apple that 10 year old app is not working properly.

I am having some old carbon games and I really liked to play the same. the Old mac which is playing just great. Be with the legacy system if you really liked the legacy system.

I have already used X Windows when the OS X was came out in the market. it was available for games and stuff which was not available on the OS X software. As the time got passed I was using less and less. I do agree that the developer should not include the X11 on this particular version of the operating system. it is having some security holes and it supposed to be fixed by the developer.