Thread: Getting "Failure to display security and shut down options" error message in windows 7

Getting "Failure to display security and shut down options" error message in windows 7

I have been running windows 7 on my computer and from some days I was getting a no of errors but then after I got a blue screen and when I rebooted the machine then the computer was not getting started. Later it started somehow and I was getting a no of errors related to Chrome, iTunes etc and when I opened the task manager in order to close all the running application then I got a message saying Failure to display security and shut down options, so now whenever I am restarting my computer then whole thing happens again, is there anyone who can help me out with the same??

Re: Getting "Failure to display security and shut down options" error message in windows 7

I have been running windows 7 on my computer and from some days I was getting a no of errors but then after I got a blue screen and when I rebooted the machine then the computer was not getting started. Later it started somehow and I was getting a no of errors related to Chrome, iTunes etc and when I opened the task manager in order to close all the running application then I got a message saying Failure to display security and shut down options, so now whenever I am restarting my computer then whole thing happens again, is there anyone who can help me out with the same??
    Before I suggest you something about the same I just wanted to know that how are you getting the error when you are starting the computer or you are getting it when you are press CTRL+ALT+DEL, other than this I also wanted to know that have you faced the bsod again?? Do you remember any changes that you have made to the system recently? Just answer the same for further help.

Re: Getting "Failure to display security and shut down options" error message in windows 7

I am getting the below error when every time I am starting the computer:

other than this when I am starting any othewr application like Chrome then I again get a error message saying "chrome.exe - application error" and I am getting same error when I am opening any other application as well. I have not faced the bsod after the one that I have mentioned in my first post, is there anything that I can try out??

It is appearing to be some hardware issue in your case, anyways if you are not getting the blue screen error again you can try out the below steps and see if it is making any difference:
    • First go to start and then click on run and then type “cmd” without the quotes in run
    • After that you will get black window so just type chkdsk /r and then hit enter
    • When you will get an message saying that you will have to restart the computer and so then just type Y and then again hit enter.

After the restart just let it run check, just try it out and then let me know if it is helping.

I have tried out the same and it was saying to boot with the windows 7 disk and then do a repair and so but then when I did so then it came up saying “unable to repair” it did not provided me any details about the failure that was encountered for the repair, Later when I tried it again the repair was successful but then the issue is still the same, I am really running out of ideas now, is there any other workaround that I can try out to get rid of the error messages and make my computer work fine?? Any further help for the same will be highly appreciated.

That really weird i will suggest you to better try to remove the other hard drives from your system if you have multiples and after that just reboot the machine with the drive it needs for booting and see if it is making any difference, If the issue still exist then again run the chkdsk /r and see if it is helping or not. Just try it out and report back with the result you get.

I am having multiple hard drivers but then now after your suggestion I had disconnected all the other hard drives and booted it with the drive having windows and after running chkdsk c: /r when the computer got rebooted than it just started freezing before the windows 7 boot screen, I don’t know what is wrong with it now. I have tried to do the same process several times and I am getting the same response, I just wanted to know that can this issue be because of video card and the SLI hack??? I am not very sure but then I think that they are culprits, what do you think about the same??

There are possibilities that they might be the culprit but then I will suggest you to better try out a workaround and find it out, I mean that if you are having more than one card in your case then you can try running single card at a time to check out if they are making any difference, if you are finding other cards to be working fine than any of them then it might have gone corrupted and you will have to replace it, anyways just check it out and see if you are having such case.