Thread: Do I need Audio Interface for Live Recording on Mac OS X

Do I need Audio Interface for Live Recording on Mac OS X

Currently I am using the Yamahas P155 digital piano. I would like to record actual piano sounds in real audio. I am using the Macbook 5.1 OS X Snow leopard and it has a GarageBand. Is there any way I can record the real audio in to GarageBand? Do I need to use any audio interfaces between 2 for recordings?

The problem is there is 1/4 inch jack audio input on the Macbook. I have only a mini jack.

Re: Do I need Audio Interface for Live Recording on Mac OS X

I don’t think that you will need any Audio interface. Only thing you will need is to get an adapter in order to connect the piano to the Macbook. But the problem is, you will not get the good sound quality. To get a good sound you will need a USB or firewire audio interface. I don’t about the mini audio in Macbook. If there are 2 cables coming out from the pino, then you will need a good adapter or a compatible cable to connect to the mini jack.

However you can get inexpensive USB interfaces, which will help you to connect properly.

In order to get the best sound from the piano, you will surely need an Audio interface with some nice Mics. If you think that it is expensive, you can get the same quality sound with the cable like this 2x 1/4" jack to stereo mini jack (1/8") adapter. I hope that your P155 has two mono 1/4" outputs for left and right.

As far as I know that audio interfaces has different convertors for different components for variety of sound. The problem is 3 different audio interfaces with 2 outputs cannot be possible and you cannot use for 5.1 surround system. The output will not be original. Make sure that while using the Audio interface do not use inputs and outputs across which will need matched” outputs for example surround mixing, stereo pairs and surround recording

You may need an Audio interface but along with that, you will need a WireTap application which is capable to record any audio playing on the Mac. The software will then save it as file. You can also record Internet radio, favorite DVD movie, record the audio from a game. This application has a simple tape recorder-like interface. There is a record button which will able to record any audio currently playing.