Thread: How to move/copy OS X Lion from one physical drive to another

How to move/copy OS X Lion from one physical drive to another

Some says that in order to get the LION on you have first install the Snow leopard and then download the LION or update it directly. But some sources say that you can copy the downloaded Lion and install it directly on other drive. Does anyone know whether I need to re-install to move it to another drive?

Re: How to move/copy OS X Lion from one physical drive to another

I am really not sure about this and never tried before these. So I don’t have accurate knowledge about this. But there are some applications like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper which will help you to make task much easier. This app will help you to copy the entire bootable Lion Installation, so that you can later move it from one drive to another.

As far as I know that just making a copy of OS installation files and move it, does not make the drive bootable. There several hidden files and "blessing" that are needed in order to make the drive bootable. But for sure some programs similar to Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper! Will do this easily. But these only help you to cut down files so that OS can fit into SSD.

You are talking about another physical drive. So I hope that it is a USB flash drive. In order to move Lion to this flash drive, just make a right click on Mac OS X Lion (in app folder) and choose “Show Package Contents.” In that folder go to“SharedSupport.” Right click on it and “Copy ‘InstallESD.dmg’’. Now copy and paste that item on Desktop. Again open App Folder> “Utilities” > “Disk Utility.” Drag “ESDInstall.dmg” file to left column folder. Click that file and “Restore” tab. Connect the flash drive. After doing this, you will get to know about rest of steps.