Thread: Linux redirects me to initramfs on startup

Linux redirects me to initramfs on startup

Bought a new hard drive to add in my system. Now I planned to set 180GB of hard drive into two partitions, one for Windows 7 and another for Linux natty and the extra partition of 20GB for using Windows and Linux sharing files.

But I somehow did some mess with the Fstab while adding the new hard drive to mount point. I guess I deleted the swap space in the fstab.

Now the problem is that every time after booting, selecting Linux or Linux recovery mode does not makes any sense, I mean selecting either of them sends me to the initramfs prompt and due to this I am unable to do anything from then. Now I just wanted to know how to reestablish fstab as it was before.

Re: Linux redirects me to initramfs on startup

I did the same thing in my system too but in my case I am unable to access both the Linux and the Window 7 properly. I divided my hard drive into the same partition as you did, one for Windows 7 and the other for Linux.

But now when I access my windows 7 partition, it works properly but know don’t for what reason it works too slowly. I guess it’s out of space. And when I go into Linux it redirects me to the initramfs, from after there I am unable to do anything. Even if I go into the Linux recovery mode, it’s of no use. I can’t even access sdb5 where my Linux partition is present. I am also completely helpless same as you.

Why don’t you try out with Linux Puppy. Using that you will be easily getting access to the sdb5 and hopefully also the other partitions if possible.

If this doesn’t work, try the Live CD natty.

As you said I tried doing with Linux Puppy it worked fine and also the other partitions were easily able to mount but thing didn’t work with that of sdb5. And when tried the Live CD natty it said that I will have to delete the complete disk. I just wanted to anyhow stop the Linux from entering initramfs at the time of booting or after booting. And also to get the system configuration files back to its default condition as it was before the editing.

In order to restore your fstab system configuration what you need to do is to boot off the live CD or puppy using the following command I have mentioned below:
    sudo fdisk -1

Now this will easily help you to list your connected hard drives, partitions and all other information.

Also would like give you an advice, try to use root terminal instead of ordinary terminal.

Ok so as said by you I did the things said by you using the commands. And the output information I got about my hard drive is posted below:

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 2483 19937248+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xafe6fd0f

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 1 13 102400 7 HPFS/NTFS
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sdb2 * 13 5839 46793727+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sdb3 15808 19457 29312000 7 HPFS/NTFS
    Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sdb4 6165 15807 77453184+ 5 Extended
    /dev/sdb5 6165 15517 75123712 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb6 15

I seriously don’t have any idea what these information refers to or trying to explain me but I just did it as I was suggested by you. Now its on you how you deal with the information I provided and let me know the appropriate solution for the issue I am facing.