Thread: CPU Clock Gadget doesn't allow Windows 7 shutdown

CPU Clock Gadget doesn't allow Windows 7 shutdown

Currently I am using the Windows 7 and the issue started from the past one week. When I want to shut down Windows 7, it asks me to forcefully shut down the computer saying still one more process running. If I look for process, it is actually CPU clock gadget. But it is a raw gadget from Windows 7. It is really annoying and don’t know the reason for it? Is there any way to remove it like editing registry or something?

Re: CPU Clock Gadget doesn't allow Windows 7 shutdown

I am also getting the same issue and it is driving me crazy. In my case every CPU and RAM scanning gadget causing the system not to shut down by itself. I have to manually kill the running process in order to continue with the Shut down process. I don’t know why it is preventing. There were several threads about this issue. I have disabled all the running gadgets now and it is Fine now.

If you want to solve the issue with the Windows 7 Gadgets, I urge you to go through following steps:
    • First of all click the Start button and Type regedit” in the “Search Bar” and Enter.
    • This will open the Registry Editor Window.Now find the following Entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> SOFTWARE >> Microsoft >> Windows >> CurrentVersion >> Sidebar\Settings
    • Right click on the side panel and select New” > “DWORD" (of 32 Bit Value). Give the value “AllowElevatedProcess.” And set value to “1.”

There are many programs running in my computer and when I press the shut down button, the system must automatically kill the user-based processes. However you can immediately shut down using the power button of the CPU otherwise using command prompt, type shutdown –s. This will shut down normally. For faster shut down enter shutdown –s –f –t 0.

First of all I urge you to update the chipset drivers, and then try to modify the default timeout period. This will make Windows to forcefully kill any hanging services and shuts down the computer very quickly. To adjust it, open Registry Editor and find this entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

Now in the right pane, double click on WaitToKillServiceTimeout key and change value around 2000 or 3000. The current value might be 12000.

I know that most of the customers having the same problem with the windows 7. The annoying one is Shut Down process. But it can be resolved easily by using the different way around or workarounds. This issue can be seen in systems those are running multiple CPUs or multi-core CPUs.

I have heard that Microsoft has released a hotfix in order to address this problem. So those who are experiencing the problem can now download that hotfix from Microsoft. One thing keep in mind that there are several Hotfix available for different issues and for different purposes. So make sure that you are downloading and applying the correct one. Those who regularly update the Windows 7, they don’t need to install hotfix.

This looks like a serious issue with Windows 7. If the Shut down process hangs in the middle, then you need to figure out what programs and what gadgets casing this and why? If the program is infected with virus or malware, then also it can cause the issue and there is no apparent reason at all. Only thing you can do now is to do a Full system scan and rule out infection. You can eliminate processes permanently those are causing the system to hang in the middle.