Thread: Ubuntu Unity panel sitting behind top Gnome shell panel

Ubuntu Unity panel sitting behind top Gnome shell panel

First I have installed the Unity panel and updated it. After that I have installed the Gnome Shell. If I am going to change the theme and make it as transparent one, I can see that Unity panel sitting behind the top gnome panel. Does anyone know what that is? Is there any kind of setup to change it?

Re: Ubuntu Unity panel sitting behind top Gnome shell panel

I was also seeing the same thing when I have installed both in my computer. It mostly appears when I was using the "compiz" as window manager chosen from "compiz fusion". I don’t know what is causing this in your computer but in my case, it was only showing unity panels. I was not getting gnome panel's even I was in gnome desktop. It looks like a known issue.

It seems to me that in your case the Unity global menu stuff might have been affecting gnome-shell panel. To resolve this, just run the following command in the terminal Window:
    Code:
    echo '[ "$DESKTOP_SESSION" != "ubuntu" ] && unset UBUNTU_MENUPROXY' | sudo tee /etc/X11/Xsession.d/81ubuntu-menu-proxy
    The system will log out and log in back automatically. Don’t worry this will not change Ubuntu (Unity) session stuff.

I hope that you are using the Ubuntu 11.10. I have heard that this version brings a lot of changes regarding the Unity features and some of them are chameleon theme, active blur, launcher opacity, relocation of the Ubuntu button. You can from move the buttons from the panel to the launcher. Due to these new features, now you can do lots of customization in Unity as you like.

Recently Ubuntu users told that Ubuntu's Unity desktop environment has made them controversy and put the users into a loop. Due to its ability of customization you can do lot of thing in it. For you that you need to play around different settings. If you want to make the transparent Unity panel, then push the Windows button from keyboard and search for "compiz." Now click settings manager and locate "ubuntu unity plugin.". Choose the experimental tab and move the slider named”panel opacity” as you need.

There is a good but little trick which you can sue to get the classic Gnome2 panel with Ubuntu Unity interface. For that you need to open the terminal Windows by pressing the Press Alt + F2 and run:
    Code:
    gnome-panel
    If you want the Gnome 2 panel to load at startup, in that case you must add it as startup applications. For this again type following command in terminal Window.
    Code:
    gnome-session-properties
    Otherwise you can directly go to System > Preferences > Startup Applications and Click add.

If you are using the Ubuntu 11.10, you will get only Unity and Unity 2D. The 2D Unity isn't classic. If you use sudo method, you can get Gnome 3 and Gnome classic. At this time you will get choice to select durtin the login screen. I really don’t like the Gnome 3 and I am still using classic.

I think that it is the problem with the opacity settings. You must have to change the opacity of the Panel. For this you have to install CompizConfig Settings Manager. You can get this from the Ubuntu Software Center. After installing launch it and go to Ubuntu Unity Plug-in/Experimental/Panel Opacity. Adjust the slider.

This issue can be experienced in Ubuntu 11.10. To solve the issue, I have a best solution. Open the Terminal Windows and type, 'nautilus -q'. This command will kill and reload Nautilus. Then you will get a proper theme. If you are using the 12.04, You won't be seeing this issue anymore.