Thread: Installing Lucid on an Apple iBook g4?

Installing Lucid on an Apple iBook g4?

The title says it all. I just want to ask this question with you all, so can anyone of you please help me with the installation of the lucid on my apple iBook. I did try to do some research here on the internet but I was not able to find anything out there. No interesting articles out there. That’s why my last option was to come over here and take some help from you all. Do you all have any help for me by which I would be able to install lucid on my iBook. Please reply to me something over here on what can be done.

Guys please help it would be of great help for you.

Re: Installing Lucid on an Apple iBook g4?

Well that’s a very difficult question to answer. I would say you better refer ubuntu forums or apple forums. May be you will be able to get some solutions out there to sort out the issue. Till that time I will also do some research on that subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Adi.Das View Post
    Well that’s a very difficult question to answer. I would say you better refer ubuntu forums or apple forums. May be you will be able to get some solutions out there to sort out the issue. Till that time I will also do some research on that subject.
    Don’t tell me you would not be able to help me with this question. Otherwise it would be a a big hurdle for me. I told you I did a lot of research on such kind of forums and still I was not able to find anything, so that’s why I wanted to know it from you all.

Guys please don’t leave me on the midway. I want to get it going. Please help!

Ok I will help you with some steps make sure you perform it carefully and I should not be held responsible in case if that does not work out for you.

1) First you have to press the power button then insert the Ubuntu 10.04 PowerPC Desktop Live CD in your system. Now keep pressing the C key. Now what will happen is it causes the system to boot from the disk that you have inserted. Don’t forget to keep pressing it until you get the option of choosing the boot options. It is very much advisable to boot with the options. Now why I am telling that is because it will add the

Code:
    live video=radeonfb:1024x768-24@60 radeon.modeset=0
    to the yaboot.conf. now its time to select the language as well as the time zone. There is an option called as "install boot loader" in advanced option. You should check it. After you have ensured that all the necessary options are entered. reboot the system using the live cd and when finally it ejects the cd, press the enter key.

2) Now it is always necessary to protect the system from overheating and hence to prevent that you have to go to the terminal and code the following thing

Code:
    $sudo modprobe therm_adt746x
    $sudo apt-get update
    $sudo apt-get install cpudyn
    In order that it does not happen in the future I would advise you to load the fan module during the boot.

3) Now its time to install the wireless drivers for that what you have to do is type the following command in the terminal

Code:
    #sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
    I think that is enough.

4) Now its time to enter a very important step. That is compile a new kernel. So for that you will require a upto date kernel. Which you will get from kernel.org. the another important thing is PostFactum patch set 2.6.34-1 that you will get it from softpedia download it from there. copy them both into /usr/src and then open up a terminal and cd in that directory.

Copy the following command In the terminal

Code:
    $sudo su
    #apt-get install patch kernel-package libncurses5-dev
    #tar -xjf linux-2.6.34.tar.bz2
    #bunzip2 patch-2.6.34-pf1.bz2
    #ln -s linux-2.6.34 Linux
    #cd Linux
    #patch -p1 < ../patch-2.6.34-pf1
    #cp /boot/config-'uname -r' ./.config
    #make oldconfig
    Now a list of options will appear before, it is better to go with the default option for every choice. Now comes a very important step, go to device drivers
    - then scsi drivers
    - low level scsi drivers
    - you should remove ALL support for the IBM Power Raid adapter. The same thing should be done for the sound as well remove ALL support for the open sound system. Now save the config file.

Now enter the following code

Code:
    #make-kpkg clean
    #make-kpkg kernel_image kernel_headers
    Wait for sometime till all the compiling process gets completed. Now once it is done look at the following code

Code:
    #dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.34-pf1_2.6.34-pf1-10.00.Custom_powerpc.deb
    #dpkg -i linux-headers-2.6.34-pf1_2.6.34-pf1-10.00.Custom_powerpc.deb
    #update-initramfs -c -k 2.6.34-pf1
    If you have followed all the steps properly then you might have installed the custom kernel very well in the system.

5) The next step is to edit the /etc/yaboot.conf file(attachment below). For which, what you have to do is type the following codes

Code:
    #sudo gedit /etc/yaboot.conf
    Now create a new stanze like this

Code:
    image=/boot/vmlinux-2.6.34-pf1
    	label=PostFactum
    	read-only
    	initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.34-pf1
    	append="quiet splash video=radeonfb:1024x768-24@60 radeon.modeset=0"

also add

Code:
    enableofboot
    enablenetboot
    fgcolor=black
    bgcolor=white
    save that file.

6) Now talking about the xorg file there is an attachment given below do decompress and use it. It should work out smoothly.

7) Now having done all the above steps correctly. Its time to do some small steps which includes. Running the following command

Code:
    $sudo apt-get install hdapsd gpmudmon-applet
    I have attached some of the packages over here, here is the code to run that packages

Code:
    $sudo dpkg -i {path to file}
    Attached Files Attached Files