Thread: How to Access files on a Mac hard drive in Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04)

How to Access files on a Mac hard drive in Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04)

I have recently switched to Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04) and I was using Mac OS X previously but then I am having a no of files that are backed up to an external hard drive and when I am trying to access these files from Hardy Heron then I am getting a permissions error, is there anyone who can help me out with the same?

Re: How to Access files on a Mac hard drive in Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04)

I have recently switched to Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04) and I was using Mac OS X previously but then I am having a no of files that are backed up to an external hard drive and when I am trying to access these files from Hardy Heron then I am getting a permissions error, is there anyone who can help me out with the same?
    I think that I can help you out here, just follow the below commands in the terminal:
    cd /media
    ls

Browse the hard drive and then press enter and then enter the below command
    cp filename destination || cp -r directory destination
    After that just change the ownership with the below command
    sudo chown user.user file
    Just try it out and then let me know if it is helping.

Before trying this I just wanted to share that I have been running Ubuntu on a PC and not on a mc os x and these files are on Mac OS X hard drive, so will the above commands will be helpful??

I think that it will help,just try out the "sudo cp filename…" and then let me know if it is working or not.

I have not yet understood the situation that you are trying to explain but then I just wanted to know the following things:
    • Is the mac drive (HFS+ filesystem) is accessible from your computer or not??
    • Have you tried out using the mount command in linux in order to connect to the drive??

Just answer the same for further help.

I am not having any problem in mounting Mac hard drive on my computer, I am able to get it on the desktop after turning it on but then I am just not able to access the files in the drive, I mean that when I am trying to move or copy the files from the drive to my computer then it is giving me a permissions error. I think that it is something to do with the file format that Mac has, I am looking after a solution to move files from this drive to my computer which is currently running on Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04). Hope that my issue is clear to all of you know.

In that case I will like to inform you that this issue is because of the uid, I mean that the uid of the Ubuntu is different from that of the mac uid, so now you will have to change your ubuntu uid to match the uid of the mac if you want to access the files from the hard drive, just try out the below command and then see if you are able to get full access for the files or not.
    sudo cp /path/to/macdrives /home/user/newdirectory

I have tried out the command that you have mentioned above and now I am able to move these files from the Mac hard drive to my Ubuntu desktop but now the problem is that when I am opening the files when once moved then I am again getting the below error message:
    The folder contents could not be displayed
    You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of "folder".

What should I do know??

I am not very sure but then just locate the files from the terminal and then check the username of the file and if it is “your name” then there are no directories and there just files. So if that’s the case then just enter the below command in the terminal and see if it is helping or not:
    cd ~/Desktop
    sudo chown (Your name). (Your name)*