Thread: Some Icons at Folder Greyed Out

Some Icons at Folder Greyed Out

Hi,
    Only about an hour ago I was hit with two trojans and an exploit. All three were detected and deleted via MalwareBytes. I now have some files and folder greyed out. I find this quite curious as these files are still working! I have searched the net but have found very little that concerns my issue. It also appears that files are no longer appearing on my start menu under All Programs. However, this in inconsistent with my disk space, as Maya 2012 and a few others take up nearly 7GB on their own! I'll leave this as is for now until prompted further. Any assistance very much appreciated, thanks for your time.

Regard,
    TA

P.S.,
    Here is a screenshot showing how some of these files and icons are greyed out:

re: Some Icons at Folder Greyed Out

Hey these files are appearing to be hidden, if you have not checked it out then just select the share with option that is below the tool bar and then choose "organize folder option" from the left pane and then when you will get a new window, so just select the “Show hidden files and folders” and then click on apply and then click on OK and see if it is helping you out.

re: Some Icons at Folder Greyed Out

Many thanks for that. It was a tedious job but I have that all sorted. I would however greatly appreciate it if you could help me once more with two things.

01.My 'All Programs' on the start menu contains all the folders I had before this problem. However, most of the say (empty). I know that these programs are still there as I can access them all in the C drive if I loko for them. How can reassign the programs in the All Programs folder?

02.My System Tray is not as it once was. I used to have certain things hidden, but no longer am I able to adjust their behaviour.

Thanks again for your time.

Note: I sorted #2 out. However, I noticed something odd. I'll post another image highlighting two things that are not right. I cannot find them anywhere, yet they are there. Could this be a remnant of what deleted by Malwarebytes?

Last edited by TheAristocrat; 25-01-2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Additional information

Re: Some Icons at Folder Greyed Out

No help? Anyone out there who can be of assistance?

01.My 'All Programs' on the start menu contains all the folders I had before this problem. However, most of the say (empty). I know that these programs are still there as I can access them all in the C drive if I loko for them. How can reassign the programs in the All Programs folder?

You can try out the below steps for the same:
    Make sure that you are login in with the Administrator and after that just click on the run and then enter “regsvr32 /i shell32.dll” without the quotes and then reboot the machine and see if it is making any difference.
    If not then check out the Shell Folder data which will be in the Start Menu, Programs, Common Start Menu and Common Programs and see what you are getting?

I was having the same issue before and I will like to inform you that this issue is because the Ownership and User Permissions for those Folders get changed, here is what I done to solve the issue:
    • First go in to start and then right click on all Programs and click on explore and after that all the Program Folders will be listed.
    • So now just right click on the folder that is been displayed as empty in all programs and then select the properties and then click on the Security tab.
    • If it asks you for assigning ownership to the folder then do the same just close the window and then open it again.
    • Now just check out Under Group and just remove if there are any stray accounts, in my case they were listed as account unknown and so, so just remove them and then Restore Full Control Permissions for Administrators.
    • When you are done with all this then just add some other account and then you can have the Read & Execute as well as Modify or Full Control Access
    • Now the Icons should now be restored, so just check out under All Programs and see if you are getting the same, you will have to do the same for the folders that are showing empty.

Just try it out and then let me know if it helps. Best of luck.