Thread: Is it possible Dual boot Windows 2000 and Windows 7

Is it possible Dual boot Windows 2000 and Windows 7

Hi guys

I need help on this I have Windows 7 Home Premium in my Dell Vostro 220 dual plus lotsa HDD. It run Aero just very well. I need to make use of Windows 2000 so I be able to operate some old application f. So I tried using Sun Virtual Box. No successes. It installed as well as operate Windows 2000, however regardless of what I do, it has remain very slow . in fact it is that slow that I have quit at the moment . So can I install Windows 2000 to dual boot my computer ? How can I do that? And which OS system should be first, Windows 7 or else Windows 2000?

All help much appreciated.

re: Is it possible Dual boot Windows 2000 and Windows 7

I am also making the dual boot on my windows 7 PC. My PC has 2 hard drives. I thinking to boot windows 7 on the one and the other older IDE drive can be used for the windows 2000. My query is while starting the install of windows 2000; the pc need to format the other drive too for the reason that it has a system it does not make out. Should I supposed to allow it to do this plus if I do. Will I have installed all of my application once more when I repair Windows 7?

firstly, have you try running your application through the Windows 2000 compatibility mode? Right -click on the application and pick properties then run this in compatibility mode. Does your application work with XP? If so you be able to try the Windows XP mode through your PC. You must get much better result than the Sunbox

Thanks for the reply . I've used Windows 2000 compatibility mode no success . These old application won't work under Windows 7 in any mode. . XP compatibility mode need a higher grade of Windows 7 than I've got. I believe it has other necessities I couldn't assemble, . I research it . And there's no assurance this old application would run in the XP anyhow. You didn't talk about it, however I use the MSFT's virtual machine and it need hardware I don't have and can't obtain I'd have to find an totally new computer. so I go back to my original questions can I get Windows 2000 installed dual boot system in Windows 7? If so, how?

You can make use of the disk manager to make a second partition. Once you do you will have to format the next partition. then you should can boot from your Win 2000 media as well as install in the next partition you made . Open computer management then selects disk management or else just type diskmgmt.msc in the search bar and press enter. Disk Management console must appear . Right click on the main partition and select Shrink. pick an amount big sufficient to work with. 20 otherwise 30 gb should be enough . Then choose the unallocated disk space and format it. This will provide you a working partition into which to install your Win 2000. put in the win 2000 media then reboot your computer. You will get an option to press any key to boot from media.

I am made the Windows 2000 drive to make use of an old film scanner. Windows 7 is previously on the first hard drive. What would occur if i detach the Windows 7 hard drive and make the Windows 2000 hard drive alone. And later completing this join the Windows 7 hard drive back

That's the most excellent technique to approach . while you reconnect WINDOWS 7 later than installing Windows 2000, keep in mind to put it back on top of the BIOS HDD boot sequence. Then use EasyBCD 2 to put in a Windows 2000 , letting it auto-configure.

I shift my Windows 2000 partition to the center of the drive and left the unallocated. Windows7 still can't make out my partitions and at the moment my computer won't boot abd gives the "error loading OS". currently for some cause my Acronis backup image is corrupt. I am really annoyed.

i know on trick for this but i am not sure if its help

You have to first setup the drive with the partitions, installing your highest level Windows in the first partition.

Once, done, you install the next partition with a complete install off the first one.

There is not likely to be an easy choice... save using another drive, if you have critical data on that unit. You format the entire drive, then partition the drive, then format the artitions, then install you most recently released software on partition one. next most recently released in Partition two. There may be experts who know ways around this, or you might find more with some sophisticated searches .but we have never seen any others work.

Re: Is it possible Dual boot Windows 2000 and Windows 7

The traditional technique is to install the older OS first. I have seen that people had installing XP on an existing Vista computer. Make certain that you back up your data, and attept installing Windows 2000 as your computer is. There are possibility that that you will not damage your Windows 7. If you can't make the Windows 2000 working, then you will need to see at going for a formatting of your Hard Drive and a total clean install. Make certain first, however, that you have a "proper" install disk from Dell - not just a restore image. A restore image would wipe any existing Windows 2000 OS.