Thread: how to enter password from another drive.

how to enter password from another drive.

I had some difficulty with booting a friends hard drive that crashed.

After obtaining the instillation cd from hp. xp pro 64bit. tried fixmbr and fixboot. computer starts with windows with the bar scrolling horizontally then goes black with the mouse pointer in the middle of the screen, then locks. and does the same in safe mode. and again for last working copy.

I ordered a 2nd drive and created xp, and it runs great. now C is the new drive and the drive that has data on is D that does not boot.

The data drive now has 4 accounts that have passwords on them. though without being to boot on that drive, I can not transfer their data to the new drive.

Is there a procedure that I can use in safe mode admin account in order to transfer their data that will bypass their password ir be able to type in their password which is now preventing me to copy their personal info to their new drive?

I did not try to re-install the os onto the data disk, due to the chance of loosing their data but I can use the recovery console if any other ideas.

Thanks
    Dan

Re: how to enter password from another drive.

Well if you have installed on the fresh windows on the new hard drive and second hard drive is in the working condition then I don’t think so you will have any issue while doing data transfer from one hard disk to another.

thanks, though the accounts on the drive that cant boot, has passwords, therefore, when I go to their documents and settings on the drve that doesent boot, I get an error, because their profile is password protected, so I am unable to transfer their pictures and stuff to their new profile, on the drive that can boot.

I remember one time was told to go into safe mode, then forgot the rest to be able to enter the protected area, I did it once 2 years ago, but forgot. any help would be appreciated.

Cant you connect the drive that was at fault to another computer and transfer all the data's there. This way you wont be getting the password unlocking thing. In case if the drive is at fault then you will have to get some good data recovery software to get back the data from the faulty hard drive.

hum, you must not be familiar with ntfs a password locks doiwn to the drive level, placing it on another system IS what I did when I purchased a new drive, then put a new xp os on it, and used the old drive as a secondary disk drive. if it was fat 16/32, yes that would work. NTFS is a bit more secure, and I forgot the bypass technique. been racking my head. cant remember how to gain access and retrieve their files. Thanks for trying.

There is a software called Easy Drive Lock 4.2 that can unlock the ntfs drives. Locking/unlocking a drive is a very easy and fast process, but the security level is quite unsatisfactory. You just choose the drive you want to lock, type your password, confirm it, and you are done. To unlock a locked drive, you have to select the drive, enter the password, and the drive becomes unlocked.

Thanks if it can unlock a menu profile that would be great. to make a long story longer here is the scoop.

A friends hard drive had windows xp pro, that drive had 4 password profiles located on the welcome screen, Their windows drive decide to freeze with a black screen, and the mouse pointer in the center then freeze, not able to log in or get to the welcome screen. when the computer boots in safe mode, same thing, black screed, with the mouse pointer in the center stuck, safe mode with last good configurations, same, black screen with mouse pointer in the center.
    I was able to boot with the windows cd and dos command fixboot and fixmbr. after reboot same thing. back screed with mouse pointer in the center, then freezes.

At that point, I purchased a new drive, installed new copy of xp, on the new drive, and place the old drive as an additional drive. So now at this point, I have a fresh install of xp. When I go to the 2nd drive, D:\documents and settings\profile1 It windows screen comes up that I do not have permission to access it, because that profile had a password originally on it. The question I have, and trying to receive an answer, how do I get permission to access their data, and copy their data to the new drive?

I hope this time I have described the situation so its understandable. I do apologize if my previous explanation was unclear.

Quote Originally Posted by simond View Post
    There is a software called Easy Drive Lock 4.2 that can unlock the ntfs drives. Locking/unlocking a drive is a very easy and fast process, but the security level is quite unsatisfactory. You just choose the drive you want to lock, type your password, confirm it, and you are done. To unlock a locked drive, you have to select the drive, enter the password, and the drive becomes unlocked.
    Last edited by estefan2020; 28-01-2012 at 10:37 AM.

I understood your issue. You want to access the data which is saved by the users account on Windows XP. Basically when a user profile is configure on Windows XP, Windows create a user folder inside C:\Documents and Settings. To access that you can try Ophcrack(or any livecd). This is a bootable DVD. Boot from this disc and you can see hard drive partitions mount has hd1, hd2, and so no. Copy paste the data to any partition you want.

Thank you so much for the help. jaykant, sounds like the solution for data recovery, Thank you so much.