Thread: How to remove unnecessary programs from startup in windows XP

How to remove unnecessary programs from startup in windows XP

I am running Windows XP on my computer which has been working very slow lately. I have checked that there are many programs at startup which is also making the boot very slow taking atleast 5 minutes of time or so. I have heard that if we disable them from startup then it can improve the speed a little, but I dont know how it is done. So, if anyone knows how to do it then please let me know about the same. Thanks

Re: How to remove unnecessary programs from startup in windows XP

Well, all you need to do is click on Start and go to Run and then type msconfig. A window will open where you need to go to Startup tab and then look at every line that has a check in the box which are startup items. You can try to uncheck the ones that you dont want to run at startup and then click ok and restart your computer. This way, the programs which are untick will not run at startup while boot.

Incase the above solution doesnt work for you and still you are noticing the slow behaviour in your pc then it could be possible that your pc might be infected with some adware or spyware. So, you will need to install some anti-spyware tools like Spybot Search and Destroy, which is freely available on the net, install it in your pc and do a thorough scan to remove this nasties from your computer. Hope this helps.

If none of the solution work for you then it is better that you do a Repair installation of your Windows XP installation. Insert the Windows XP installation CD into the computer's CD drive, and then restart the computer and in bios change boot order to CD drive. Restart and then perform a Repair installation of Windows XP. More information can be found here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

Yeah I strongly suggest you run a virus scan first and then mess with msconfig.

Also while in msconfig, click on manufacturer to spot any non-essential stuff easily.

Stomp auto-starting programs. Click Start > Run and type "msconfig" at the prompt. Click the Startup tab and look at all that junk that loads when you launch your PC. Do you really need "Adobe Reader Speed Launch"? Probably not. Turn off anything else that looks useless, but be careful not to disable your anti-virus and important system components.

Also make sure your Startup folder in your Start Menu is empty. If there are any shortcuts to programs in there - delete them.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna.D'souza View Post
    I am running Windows XP on my computer which has been working very slow lately. I have checked that there are many programs at startup which is also making the boot very slow taking atleast 5 minutes of time or so. I have heard that if we disable them from startup then it can improve the speed a little, but I dont know how it is done. So, if anyone knows how to do it then please let me know about the same. Thanks
    Hey hi Anna ,
    Hope you are doing good
    If you were getting problem in system rebooting ,
    then just open you msconfig file from run command and disable all the unwanted startups.