Thread: How to set-up a Mail app together on Lion and Snow Leopard?

How to set-up a Mail app together on Lion and Snow Leopard?

I want mail to run in os x lion and snow leopard-different drives, accessing identical application. I thought to create an alias to library/mail folder in lion and set it in snow leopard library .Nevertheless the folder is formatted in a different way under lion. Any idea how to make this work.

Re: How to set-up a Mail app together on Lion and Snow Leopard?

If you make use of IMAP accounts, then there should be no necessitating doing that. Just open the Mail from either and it should sync the similar.

I have set up IMAP accounts in Mail under Snow leopard, however those accounts do not come into view when mail running in Lion, in view of the fact that Prefs stored in Lion Library. I want to discover a method to access similar Mail Pref files from either OS

You can either physically add the mail accounts to the Lion disk, or copy your Mail folder from the Snow leopard disk to the Lion disk which will contain all your mail accounts and files. When you installed Lion on the second drive, you could have migrate the entire user folder with setup assistant which would contain all mail preference.

At present I am only setting up accounts, rules, prefs etc in Mail .so couldn't make use of the setup assistant alternative when installing Lion

So just transferring the Mail folder later does not assist now. Looking at the two Mail folders they seem to be ordered in a different way. In Snow leopard the whole thing is at identical level. Under Lion, the Mail folder has a subfolder V2 containing most the settings and a split folder for Lost and establish items.

I have just attempt creating alias to V2, naming it as Mail and putting in the Snow leopard Library and that seems to work. However that doesn't give admission to the Mail Lost Found folder. I presume I can live without that if it
    contains are old settings.

I have no thought what a lost and found folder is. It must be Eudora thing or something forms your service provider. If an alias as you described worked, then that's huge. My point was that if the accounts are IMAP, then using either OS would still leave you with the identical mail. Since you set up snow leopard first, I think if you copied the Mail folder from the Snow leopard disk to Lion, it would have worked. Or as I said, manually put the accounts in Mail when using Lion. The merely trouble would have been the local folders. Any local stored messages on one OS would have to be saved ultimately copied to the other. Anyway, glad to observe you establish a resolution.

I believe that "Mail Lost Found" folder is nothing to do with Eudora or my service provider. It is in the Lion settings for Mail under User/.../Library/Mail/

The trouble was not in getting the identical mail from the server, however with accessing the same set of Mail preferences for my diverse IMAP accounts in both Lion and Snow leopard, since they were stored in conflicting locations, so the app ran in a different way under Lion from snow leopard