Thread: How to build Ubuntu based Kiosk System with certain privileges

How to build Ubuntu based Kiosk System with certain privileges

I am looking forward to configure a fully secured computer for public setting. There are few thing mandatory for me.
    • A "guest" account without password.
    • Access to restrict features of the user.
    • No access to the filesystem apart from their personal "/home" directory
    • Restrict system modification.
    • Inactivity period and log out feature after time out or certain time interval.

This system is for public access where can have full access to the internet and edit plus print office documents, USB drives acess etc. Webconverger and Xpud are too limited.

Is there any way using Ubuntu?

Re: How to build Ubuntu based Kiosk System with certain privileges

If it does not have to be the Gnome desktop, a simple window manager to come in in the menu, only the relevant games, it also zut a nice panel. Nor prohibit the user to log off, done.

What do you plan, something that, as you would the comfort package is again want to expand out of a system.

There is a distribution based on Ubuntu 10.04.1, optimized for use in workstations for access to Internet. The live CD allows you to test the system without affecting the current structure of the hard disk. After logging in, automatic if not interrupted, there is the only program available: Mozilla Firefox. Obviously the configuration changes are not saved after restarting the system. To customize the installation and keep the changes, there are two roads: the installation on hard disk or create a custom CD.

I have also solved with the kiosk software and it works well pretty well so far. However, I can not open a PDF more / Download kiosk when the plugin is active. Not even when I am logged on as administrator. (Eg The guest user will check in online and print boarding passes)

Kiosks "traditional" have a computer for each position. But into its head that this type of booth is not for playing games, but to word processing and web browsing. So if it's only browse and write text that does not take a lot of resources on a computer, why not use a single computer that will run on the board to roll 12 positions? In addition, the cost of a single powerful computer always returns less than 12 laps cheap. It should be remembered that energy consumption is divided by 12.

Set up a secure and robust kiosk environment based on Ubuntu, Firefox and Openbox can. The kiosk area will be equipped subsequently with the following features:
    • Firefox will automatically start in kiosk mode
    • no access to the system
    • no Flash, PDF, or other external formats
    • no file upload
    • Printing on Cups
    • Administration through a web interface

For all this you must install Ubuntu Server edition of 10.04. During installation, the default settings except for the manual network configuration, may specify a proxy server and are preserved as the OpenSSH server package.