Thread: How to send fax using OS X Lion

How to send fax using OS X Lion

Is there any idea, how to fax hardware-based with Lion? It’s not without superiority that Apple does not support its own fax-modem any longer under 10.7 and I look for an option that does the fax-job with Lion on my iMacs or MacBook.

Re: How to send fax using OS X Lion

I just read that the fax software was 32-bit, and Lion is 64-bit, and therefore it is not able to work. Moreover, Apple has discontinued selling and supporting the USB Fax.

With the Zoom 3095 my iMac 2011 faxes flawlessly under OS X Lion. I even can make use of the Apple Modem's cord linking the Zoom to my fritz box.

On the other hand, Apple's superiority disregard the necessities for a 64bit-driver for its own modem is pretty irritating!

I am at a loss. Under all versions of OS X till 10.7, I could fax from within applications such as Acrobat and Word using FAXstf Pro and an Apple USB Modem. When I establish that the Apple modem did not work, I get hold and connected a US Robotics 56K USB Modem that others have said would work.

Unluckily, I now discover that FAXstf does not work under 10.7 and Smith Micro has discontinued FAXstf and seems to have no plans for an upgrade. Am I going to have to buy a fax machine or an all-in-one printer?

We purchased one at Staples today and I can't seem to acquire the settings right within Lion's network preferences. Any help would be greatly appreciated from apple support team.

I saw your post, and I had quite a bit of frustration myself, so I hope that this helps. The Zoom modem #3095 works as advertised: that is, it does work with OS Lion.

You can go to their website, and download the driver for OS Lion, if your CD did not contain the driver.

Once installed: your USB Modem will appear in your NETWORK as "USB Modem". If you are NOT using the modem to connect to the Internet (i.e, you only want FAXING capability) -- you can ignore this.

If you are only going to be FAXING with the modem. you can open your document -- and when you print: pick USB Modem for your printer. You should be able to pick an address from your contacts.

In event, I can confirm that the ZOOM modem works!
    Attached Files Attached Files

One final item: I have confirmed that your ZOOM USB modem can indeed RECEIVE faxes. If you are using the modem at home: make sure that if you have an answering machine, that you have disconnected it. You can have a phone connected, so long as it is not an answering machine.

Your fax will appear in the FAXES location on your Mac.

Good luck!

I was a long-term user of FaxstfPRO, and I am still disappointed that that this program (or PAGE SENDER) did NOT move forward to OS Lion. However, the Zoom Modem is reasonable. Admittedly, FaxstfPRO and Pagesender had some features that I miss.

I had a question, and maybe someone can help. I would like my faxes in the fax-folder to be forwarded to my email address. Is there a "script" or program that would let me do this?