Thread: How to provide security to usb device in linux??

How to provide security to usb device in linux??

hey all, i am here to know about how can i protect my USB drive in the linux??? if here anyone have the suggestion about this then please reply me back about this. i am using Ubuntu 10.10 but i am not able to give the security to the USB device, so if here anyone suggest me then please reply me back. here i mean to say that i just want to give the read/write only options to my usb mass storage device, so what can i do for this??

Re: How to provide security to usb device in linux??

what you mean by this?? i am not getting here that what are you searching for doing with your USB drive??? can you be clear here?? i mean that if you are thinking for protecting the DATA of your usb mass storage then for this you can also try with protecting the USB device with the password. what you mean by your this question??

OK, dude let me tell me here that i dont need to protect the data of my usb mass storage. i came because i want to protect my pc from usb mass storage. and also i meant to say that if i connect the USB mass storage to my system at that time i want ful access to the USB drive like handle(accept/reject) file transfer to/from my pc to pen drive. now i think that you will be able to get my requirements over here. please suggest me back if you have any type of the suggestion for this.

still i am not getting you...what you mean?? you want that if you are going to plug a usb stick in, it not get auto connected?? or it get connected and you don't want that to occur?

Hey, if you are thinking for doing that thing then for that i will suggest you try with the using the PySDM, i am sure that there you will not get the problem with this. and here let me tell you that the PySDM is a Storage Device Manager and this will allow you full customization of hard disk mount points without manually access to fstab. try with this,, i am sure that you will be very happy with this. and also here i am agree with the idea of the password protecting for your USB device.. and also if you are going to try with this then i am sure that there is an entry in the Ubuntu brainstorm. reply me back about the results of using the PySDM, hope that this will help you for your requirements.

If you are trying with the connecting the USB drive to your system and at that time you don't want that the programs to start then for doing that thing i will suggest you to try with the doing as::
    • go to System Settings>> select Removable Media.
    • after this, check the Never prompt or start programs on media insertion.

and also for your information i would like to say here that there is nothing autorun.inf file for the Ubuntu and also if there will be like that then mounting the drive read-only wouldn't really protect you. if you are thinking for doing the setting as the read only then for that i wil tell that Read-only protects the drive from what your computer could do to it. and at that time this will not protect you from what your computer could do to it.

Friends, thanks for suggesting me about thing. now after trying with all the suggestion which you have given to me, now i can say here that i am able to block and unblock the USB drive from my pc, as i want.and also here let me tell you that this is working with the help of the libusb api's.

hi all, i am also using ubuntu and for that i am searching for doing the same things. and here i get the proper suggestion over here about this.but in my case, i want to do as::
    i want to give two options to user.
    1. write data into pc only
    2. read data from pc only

what you all will say about this?? please reply me also for the suggestion about this.

Hey Dwarner , thanks for suggesting me the steps. i tried with that all steps and there i get that this all is working vey fine for me. if i get any more problem here then for that i will report here back.