Thread: Getting message "Dynamic disks are not supported by this operating system or server configuration"

Getting message "Dynamic disks are not supported by this operating system or server configuration"

I have been using an hp-compaq-presario CQ56 notebook and I am running windows 7 home basic edition actually it has came preinstalled with the same. I was just trying to do a partition of the drive C and I did that by the option "shrink" to shrink drive C at the end of the process I got a message saying that "The operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk to dynamic disk and it also said that if you convert the disk to dynamic then you won’t be able to run installed operating systems from any other volume on the disk and further it said that “Are you sure you want to continue?" so I just clicked yes then it gain gave me a message saying that "Dynamic disks are not supported by this operating system or server configuration. Dynamic disks are not supported on clusters." And since then whenever I am trying to create a "new simple volume” then I am getting the same message again and again and I am not able to create any new partition after shrinking the c drive. Is there anyone who has an idea about the same and can help me with this? Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: Getting message "Dynamic disks are not supported by this operating system or server configuration"

I think that I can help you out, so just try to follow the below steps:
    • First extend the same c partition again to the respected storage that you need.
    • After that try to shrink the same volume using the command line and in order to do that just follow the below steps:
      • Go to start and then click on run and then type “diskpart” without the quotes and then press enter and then you will get a prompt so now just type “list volume” and then press enter which will be the volume that you want to shrink.
      • After that you will again get a prompt so now type “select volume <volumenumber>’ and then press enter where the volumenumber will be the storage space that you want to shrink.
      • You will now get a final prompt and now just type “shrink [desired=<desiredsize>] [minimum=<minimumsize>]” where desired size will be in mb or you can just type for the minimum size and it will take it automatically.
    • After doing the above steps not you can try to create a new simple volume and you should not face any such problem.

Re: Getting message "Dynamic disks are not supported by this operating system or server configuration"

Hey I have tried your solution but then when I tried to extend the partition then I found that the available space is zero and now I am not able to extend it and on the other hand when I am trying to create a simple volume again then I am getting this long message:
    ERROR: "The operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to dynamic disk(s). if you convert the disk(s) to dynamic, you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s) (except the current boot volume). Are you sure you want to continue?"
    After clicking yes I am getting this message: "Dynamic disks are not supported by this operating system or server configuration. Dynamic disks are not supported on clusters." Any further help will be appreciated.

Hey even I need help!! Actually I am trying to create a simple new volume and at the end of the process I am getting a message saying that “The operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to dynamic disk(s). If you convert the disk(s) to dynamic, you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s) (except the current boot volume). Are you sure want to continue?” and when I am clicking on yes then I am getting a new message saying that “There is not enough space available on disk(s) to complete this operation.”
    I don’t have much idea about these and I have tried to do the same for the first time, so can you help me out with this?

Hey even I need help!! Actually I am trying to create a simple new volume and at the end of the process I am getting a message saying that “The operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to dynamic disk(s). If you convert the disk(s) to dynamic, you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s) (except the current boot volume). Are you sure want to continue?” and when I am clicking on yes then I am getting a new message saying that “There is not enough space available on disk(s) to complete this operation.”
    I don’t have much idea about these and I have tried to do the same for the first time, so can you help me out with this?
    Before i suggest you anything just got to the disk management and then check out that how many partitions you are having on your hard drive and also mention if you are having any unallocated partition, just check it out and then post it here with the following storage space that they have so I can take a look at it and try to help you further with it.

Here it is:
    • SYSTEM 199MB NTFS (system, active, primary partition),
    • C: 278.72GB NTFS (Boot, page file, crash dump, primary partition),
    • D: RECOVERY 19.07GB NTFS (primary partition),
    • HP TOOLS 103MB FAT32 (primary partition).

First of all I will like to know that is there really a need to have a new partition because seeing your details it appears that you are not having any unallocated partition and because of which you will not be able to create a new partition. As far as I know the MBR that is Master Boot Record allows you for 4 partitions and you already have them. So it won’t be possible to create a new partition.

Hey even I am getting the same message when I am trying to make a new partition with Disk Management and it says the same "Dynamic disks are not supported by this operation system or server configuration. Dynamic disks are not supported on clusters.". I have also tried to use EASEUS Partition Master but then even it did not helped. Is there any solution that I can try or is there any tool that I can use?

Hey even I am getting the same message when I am trying to make a new partition with Disk Management and it says the same "Dynamic disks are not supported by this operation system or server configuration. Dynamic disks are not supported on clusters.". I have also tried to use EASEUS Partition Master but then even it did not helped. Is there any solution that I can try or is there any tool that I can use?
    I think that you are having the same case. I will like to share that the laptops that comes with preinstalled with the windows 7 has the hard drive set up with one
    • Main and the basic partition.
    • Recovery partition

Here it basically do not have a unallocated partition which can be used to create a new partition but then I have found that you have the unallocated partition in the higher versions of Windows 7 say for e.g Windows 7 Ultimate and higher. As far as the tool is concerned I have not yet found a tool in order to shrink the "existing" partition and then make a new partition. Hope you got my point.

I don’t think so because As I said that I have also used the EASEUS Partition Master and using this I was able to shrink my partition and I am also having an unallocated space as well and this error occurred when I tried to convert my c drive in to another drive with the help of the EASEUS then at that time the EASEUS simply grayed out the task and then I got that error message "Dynamic disks are not supported by this operation system or server configuration. Dynamic disks are not supported on clusters." Is there anything that I can do now? Any further help will be appreciated.

Hey even I am using the EASEUS Partition Master and I am stuck at the same error and I am really running out of ideas now. I have been trying to find a solution for the same but then I have not got any success by now. So if anyone who finds a solution for this and share it here will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys I have tried out EASEUS Partition Master but then I did not have any success and now I am really running out of patience and ideas and I really want to solve it out. Please help!!