Thread: How to unhide file in finder using Mac OS X Lion

How to unhide file in finder using Mac OS X Lion

After connecting an external hard drive that asked if I wanted to use it for backups. I selected my data drive backup, but changed my mind and canceled it. After that I cannot observe my files in the Finder, but the files are there and you can see in various dialog boxes open the file.When I click the wrong drive in the Finder displays a blank page, but get data show that is half full.

Re: How to unhide file in finder using Mac OS X Lion

Do you have backups of all data on disk? If not, the primary thing you do is a backup. Let me be acquainted with your trouble. So I will be able to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond! View Post
    Do you have backups of all data on disk? If not, the primary thing you do is a backup. Let me be acquainted with your trouble. So I will be able to help you out.
    I have 2 units affected and one of them is empty. In the event that a backup via time machine. I formatted the external hard drive and am used for something else.

When you allow the machine uses a drive as a Time Machine backup, the first thing it does is delete that unit to prepare it for use as storage for backup. Sounds like the process was interrupted, but the drive could not be restored to its previous state.

Attempt to repair the disk with Disk Utility or Disk Warrior used to rebuild disk directories.

Quote Originally Posted by Aniela View Post
    When you allow the machine uses a drive as a Time Machine backup, the first thing it does is delete that unit to prepare it for use as storage for backup. Sounds like the process was interrupted, but the drive could not be restored to its previous state.

Attempt to repair the disk with Disk Utility or Disk Warrior used to rebuild disk directories.
    If you have a unit that you know is empty, then obviously it makes no sense behind it. I mean the drive is not empty, but is having troubles. What to backup before doing anything else, even trying to fix it.

When you run a check disk in the disk utility says is right and quickly complete repair.

I have linked some weird disk folder when I browse through them using the terminal everything behaves as expected (with normal shell commands like ls and cd). But when I click on a linked folder in the Finder I have an empty list.

Backup the files do come back. It will ensure that nothing is lost. I have everything backed up and not missing me, fortunately all files - I cannot see them in the Finder .And thank you for your interest. But since the problem appeared after a setup time machine that I interrupted a time machine feeling is the source of the trouble

The fact that you get two folders in the Open dialog box, but nothing in the search is very worrying. It is likely that you will not be able to return to nothing, as the directory of the drive is probably badly corrupted. When that happens, the programs cannot find the files or you may think that a file is in the wrong place on the hard disk, and that's obviously a problem for backups. Of course you can try to clone that drive to another drive using something like Carbon Copy Cloner, but do not kid yourself that it works at all, much less than what is actually backed up anything significant.

It is very difficult to give decent advice to solve problems without being able to really get our hands on the machine and do some digging. However, my advice is to get a copy of Disk Warrior and try to rebuild the directory. That can bring it all back, or could do anything that might be less recoverable. Whatever you do at the moment is a risk, but that is the danger when you have a storage device with a backup-data on it.

No, the interruption of the removal of that hard drive is the source of the problem. If the data on that hard drive is already backed up elsewhere, then this is a non-issue. Just erase the hard drive and restore data from backup if that's what you want in this country.

I do not think there's anything wrong with the boards of the two units does not appear in the Finder are formatted using two different file systems - ExFAT and Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and can easily use all the files that also have a establish Windows and windows that do not skill any troubles I have no troubles in a terminal.

One reason could be that some configuration files for Finder is that it points to an incorrect location of the two units in question

I'm not convinced what the trouble is here. You say that two volumes are affected, but one of them is empty. The trouble - I thought - is that the volume contents are not able to be seen when opened in the Finder. Nevertheless if a volume is unfilled, has no content, so do not expect to see anything in the Finder.

So I think perhaps the real problem is that the volume icons do not appear in the Finder. If that's the case, then what probably happened is that the invisibility Finder flag is set in those units, in some way. The solution then is simple. Launch the Terminal application by typing the first letters of his name in a Spotlight search. Copy or drag - not write - the bottom line in the Terminal window, and then press enter